LegacyGT.com

Paint problems

Sorry to hear and see above.

Sadly, Subaru and most other manufacturer's paint is terrible nowadays. Water based thin layer bs.

Subaru is fairly high up toward the top of the worst paint quality list (been there for maybe 13-18 years), only 'beaten' out by say Tesla and Porsche.

If you want a pristine paint job then either 'invest' in a museum showpiece or full mechanical paint correction followed by CQuartz Finest Reserve + full clear wrap at taking delivery (don't even let the dealer remove the protective shipping film all over the various body panels). The question is why on an econobox or any DD car?

I saw this video today and I was reminded of the above post ... which mentioned the quality of paint on modern cars. The clip below is obviously not Subaru specific, and so if the moderator deems that it is not relevant to this forum and deletes it, then I will totally understand. It's just that maybe there are some forum members, who like me, have not given much thought about how complex repainting a vehicle "correctly" can be. I just thought it might be of general interest to forum "car people."

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread.

The claim was rejected on the damage a couple years ago.

I've had continual issues with the finish on the car not taking wax correctly and wax coats and sealers looking greasy and streaky especially on the hood roof and trunk when the car heats up. Pretty much said "eff it" and just washed in in the coin wash since then.

My financial situation has significantly degraded since then, and I now work from home so I don't need my commuter. I'm trying to sell the car and the buyers are balking at the paint issues and offering me 2-3000 less for the car. I'm asking "fair" kbb already for the car.

One guy found rust already on the rear quarters just inside the door where the bottom of the door gap is. Looks like it got sandblasted to the metal with gravel.

I thought I submitted pictures already but will update with the damage and where the rust is starting, someone might be able to catch it and stop it on theirs.

Just wanted to update this thread.

The claim was rejected on the damage a couple years ago.

I've had continual issues with the finish on the car not taking wax correctly and wax coats and sealers looking greasy and streaky especially on the hood roof and trunk when the car heats up. Pretty much said "eff it" and just washed in in the coin wash since then.

My financial situation has significantly degraded since then, and I now work from home so I don't need my commuter. I'm trying to sell the car and the buyers are balking at the paint issues and offering me 2-3000 less for the car. I'm asking "fair" kbb already for the car.

One guy found rust already on the rear quarters just inside the door where the bottom of the door gap is. Looks like it got sandblasted to the metal with gravel.

I thought I submitted pictures already but will update with the damage and where the rust is starting, someone might be able to catch it and stop it on theirs.

Try Carmax...Go online and make a appointment to have your car appraised....Takes about 45 minutes...Back in December of 2019 I was on vacation and had the Subaru dealer give me a trade in appraisal...6k...Went to Carmax and they offered 9,000...I still have the car and it sits on the street with a car cover as I retired and drive my play cars around now....