LegacyGT.com

Rust in trunk lid area, any suggestions?

I just purchased a 2018 Legacy, previously owned a 2011 Legacy and noticed that the trunk lid on the 2011 has some rust on it. I searched the forums and apparently it is common to rust in this area. I'd like to slow or prevent this on my 2018, some folks suggested spraying WD40 or Fluid Film in this area as well as under the doors. Any other recommendations?

I read those posts too, so I bought a can of a product called Rust Check and sprayed inside the drain holes of the trunk lid and the doors. I kind of regret doing this as that stuff runs. After every rain for the next year, I could see an uneven layer of dirt on the body where the drain holes were located.

But.. still no rust. So I guess it's working.

I'm looking for another product that was used on a previous car. It creates a white waxy, rubbery coating. That car is nearly 18 years old now and no rust. I really want to find that product, but no luck. If anybody knows, that would be awesome!

Is it on the inside or outside of the trunk?

If the rust isn't that deep and more of a surface rust you can wire wheel the rust, apply a rust neutralizer, then apply some epoxy primer (it's runny, so watch out) and then paint/clear as needed. The epoxy primer is better than the tar type under coating because the epoxy dries unlike the tar that keeps moving. The epoxy primer also flows into the cracks and crevasses better than the tar too.

If you have to do a repair the requires a patch the tar under coating can get behind mud over time, lift it and then you get rust there again anyway.

I'm no expert, just my way of dealing with it.

I will be doing this repair to the bottom of my driver's door in the next few weeks. It's the inside bottom of the door on mine.

Archived