LegacyGT.com

2015 Subaru Legacy headlight assembly removal?

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight assembly? I ordered a diode dynamics LED C-Light and I intend to install it myself. However, before doing so, I wanted to have a firm understanding on how to safely and correctly removal the headlight assembly so I can proceed to opening them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To remove the headlight from the vehicle, you need to remove the front bumper along with the trim piece thing along the fender that covers one of the headlamp mounting bolts. Then it's just a matter of undoing all the bolts that hold it in place.

As for actually installing the C-lights, well there's no real correct way to open a headlight assembly. It's not meant to be un-glued and re-glued. You'll have to use a heat gun or put the full assembly in the oven to heat up the glue and pull it apart. There may be some screws you have to remove too - IIRC my 4th gen had some torx screws that helped hold the lens + housing together. If it's not something you feel comfortable doing, then I'd recommend looking at The Retrofit Source's website for some of their recommended retrofitters - they'll be able to properly open and re-seal your headlights and do the install for you.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/partners/

Following. I have DD C-lights in the living room and I've been debating installing myself. I thought I heard people saying they broke a tab or something when pulling the headlights apart.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I retrofitted 2015 WRX headlights with an HID projector and the C-Lights.

the glue they use now is very sticky, and can be removed at room temp without heat, or baking, or a heat gun, though I used the baking method to soften it.

It can be resealed with the same glue if you are careful when you open them up.

I actually opened the headlights multiple times (HID projector, then again for the C-Lights), it is a half-a-day project. Go to NASIOC and there are multiple threads with pics that can guide you.

And of course there are screws on the back of the headlight that you have to remove first before you try to separate them. If you can't get to that point, you should not attempt this project yourself. Heating will make it easier to separate, but many guys did it at room temp. The first time you open them will take a lot of strength...the sealant is goopy.

The Diode Dynamics C-Lights are very bright, it was a good looking mod.

Archived