LegacyGT.com

06 Spec B Bilstein Specs???

06Obsidian3.0RB

Hi,

I'm trying to find out whether the struts are bilstein struts with stock springs (i.e. same as standard 3.0R) or if the springs are different too?

Car is a MY06 Legacy 3.0R Spec B.

So, Spec B - different springs to standard 3.0R??? Or same springs with bilstein struts???

If the springs are different any one know what rates etc compared to standard?

TIA

The part numbers are different so I assume the springs are different. I've asked/been curious also if the spring rate on the GT/3.0 KYB was the same on the Bilstein. I would venture to guess they are not.

So all Bilstein have the same springs. KYB spring part numbers are different and dependent on model. I would assume there is softer and harder spring rates between models/part numbers.

I compared the part numbers here and there is a bit of info there too.

The part numbers are different so I assume the springs are different. I've asked/been curious also if the spring rate on the GT/3.0 KYB was the same on the Bilstein. I would venture to guess they are not.

So all Bilstein have the same springs. KYB spring part numbers are different and dependent on model. I would assume there is softer and harder spring rates between models/part numbers.

I compared the part numbers here and there is a bit of info there too.

Thanks for the link, very helpful.

Kind of what I was thinking based on my own research, basically three levels:

1) Stock 2.5

2) GT and 3.0R

3) Bilstein

I bought my wife a 3.0R Spec B, but with the bumpy roads around here the ride is too stiff and gives her a headache. A bit disappointed because it drives magnificently, but pointless if she cant use it.

So I see I can go down too either the above options 1 and 2. I can get both easily enough.

Any one have experience with Option 2 the GT/3.0R suspension? How stiff is it, especially say compared to SpecB?

Having said that its pointless to swap to GT/3.0R struts and its still too stiff.

Well I just took off the KYB/GT (technically it was taken off a 3.0R but it came with KYB stock here) setup and put koni's on.

We could have just swapped. Just kidding as if you have a 3.0 spec b you must be in Europe.

Anyhow well I can tell you from comparing my worn out KYB's to the koni it's a lot better driving the car. Of course it's a bit more firm than it was with worn out shocks but passengers haven't actually noticed it having any firmer ride. So I'm happy with that setup.

I've never been in a legacy with the bilsteins so someone else will have to chime in but I'm guessing the stock GT/KYB setup must be at least a bit softer ride.

Here's a thought though, I assume you are on 18in wheels? If you go to 17 that will give you a lot more side wall and it likely will ride surprisingly more comfortable. Or put tires with a higher profile on the 18's.

Side note

USDM All 3.0R Limited has bilsteins, All 08's were limiteds. In 09 there was a 3.0R (not limited) model that did not have the bilsteins in addition to the limited.

Canada only got the 3.0 in 09 and it was kind of a hybrid of the limited and non limited that the USA got and didn't get the bilsteins suspension.

Neither market got a 3.0R spec b.

I know EDM got a 3.0R spec b but that's about all I know.

I'm in Australia and we got the 3.0R inc. Spec B from MY05 on. I don't know why you guys had to wait until series 2. The 3.0R series 1 sold well here and was another $20k over base sticker, would have made sense to sell as many as possible.

The ride isn't actually that hard with the Bilsteins and I would say its actually pretty well tuned, drives amazing actually. The issue is my wife already has a sore neck and the roads here are poorly made, bumpy and rough which result in minor head jiggling. This aggravates her problem.

Maybe the bilsteins are starting to wear out, they have 200k km on them (125k miles).

I told her there was nothing wrong with the car and it was something wrong with her, she agreed.

Anyway, yesterday I bought a full set of low mile standard 3.0R auto struts to swap over and will see how that goes. I debated using the 2.0 or 2.5 struts but wasn't sure about the slightly higher weight of the H6 (if any) and thought maybe the GT suspension was used for this reason.

It was depressing how many of the cars being parted out were 3.0R Spec B manuals vs their rarity. Most of them had been spun out and totaled by kids. Man if they can't keep control of one of these they shouldn't be driving.

It does have the 18's, I thought about the 17's but low profile tires are much better ride wise than they used to be. It has a new set of Kumho KU31's fitted by the PO, if they're anywhere near as good as the KU39's on my DD they won't be a problem.

I just checked and both 17's and 18's came with 215/45 series tires (hers has 215/45/18), so no difference in sidewall height .

On my DD I went from 16's to 18's with KU39's and if anything the ride improved (from decent brand tyres). At 30k km soft and comfortable on the highway and fantastic handling, low noise and even wear. I highly recommend the KU39's and will get a set for my Corvette as well.

Also my DD with the 18's isn't an issue for her to ride in or drive.

I'll see how the swap to std 3.0R struts goes. Hopefully its enough to get her back behind the wheel.

Anyhow well I can tell you from comparing my worn out KYB's to the koni it's a lot better driving the car. Of course it's a bit more firm than it was with worn out shocks but passengers haven't actually noticed it having any firmer ride. So I'm happy with that setup.

If your using the stock 3.0R springs with konis thats probably a good compromise. The bilstein setup came with different springs (probably stiffer).

I read about someone replacing the bilsteins with std replacement struts and keeping the springs, they said it was a more comfortable ride.

Std struts here are KYB too.

Which konis did you use?

Yeah stock springs. I haven't been able to find any info saying that the springs that came on the bilstein is of a different spring rate but I would assume they would be a bit stiffer also.

I was curious if the springs that came on the bilsteins would fit on the standard/KYB struts but never found enough info. I do know the top hats are different which might suggest that they don't fit.

Koni sport,

8610 1447Sport

8010 1053Sport

Only ones available that fit out model. They are adjustable. The fronts are inserts which requires a KYB donor strut, cut open and insert the insert.

I'm quite happy with the setup and I'm currently on full soft so I could easily firm them up a bit. And if I ever way stiffer springs (doubt I will) I'll be able to dial them in to match them.

Archived