LegacyGT.com

Cobb vs EcuTek vs ?

Hello all,

Looking for advice on the better choice for a stage 1 tune.

I'm brand new to modding cars apart from cosmetics and this being my first Subaru I want to get it right.

2010 legacy GT 170kms

I'm the 2nd owner and the car was well maintained.

Im loyal to Shell v-power 91 and I have a heavy foot.

I know a few basics about engine mechanics but this is my first turbo.

What are the pros and cons of the various tune methods? I'm not a track guy but I enjoy my daily commute to work, looking to have a bit more fun.

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Well I have a Cobb stage 1 91oct ACN map tune through my AP. I have heard more good things about COBB then EcuTek. The stock tune is for 93oct so maybe if you cant get 93 where you are then get a 91oct tune. Personally id rather have mine running 91 and be further away from that knock then have extra power. but even from the stock tune to the COBB stage 1 is quite noticeable.. keep her happy and check the oil all the time.

Welcome to the forum!

Its not really a question of 'method' as much as a question of the 'tool' limitations and performance for a given platform and in the hands of a given tuner.

Normally Opensource >>> Ecutek >>> COBB but....

If your car is a USDM LGT and you're planning to go with a Stage 1-2 tune,

then even though I've never used or cared for COBB, I'd still vote either COBB and their AP and

either start with an OTS tune or go directly to a custom e/dyno tune that many shops can provide (the choice which makes more sense for you will be driven by your comfort level of putting the car on a dyno vs mocking around with software and geographical location of your car vs the tuner you go with).

Skip Ecutek since a. less tuners are familiar with it in the US b. it 'locks' your tune (which in and of itself is ok - protecting IP etc) but cause a lot of practical issues (reflashing back to stock, easily/quickly updating your base CALID to the latest for your 2010 if that's not the revision you were tuned on and then reapplying the tune on top of that, trying different tuners or letting one pickup where another left off).

I would promote opensource (RomRaider, EcuFlash, EcuEdit) as well but given the relative ease of COBBs solution, market saturation for this platform (in the US) and the fact that there are more than enough tables defined by COBB to make a Stage 1, 2 or n tune on an LGT 'easy' for the right tuner - it's really a no brainer.

The ability to unmarry and sell the AP and car when 'back to stock' is also attractive (down the line).

There are plenty of good COBB tuners on here as our site vendors.

Have a look in the appropriate section to find them or perhaps some members will chime-in with their recommendations.

Where are you located?

Its not really a question of 'method' as much as a question of the 'tool' limitations and performance for a given platform and in the hands of a given tuner.

Normally Opensource >>> Ecutek >>> COBB but....

If your car is a USDM LGT and you're planning to go with a Stage 1-2 tune,

then even though I've never used or cared for COBB, I'd still vote either COBB and their AP and

either start with an OTS tune or go directly to a custom e/dyno tune that many shops can provide (the choice which makes more sense for you will be driven by your comfort level of putting the car on a dyno vs mocking around with software and geographical location of your car vs the tuner you go with).

Skip Ecutek since a. less tuners are familiar with it in the US b. it 'locks' your tune (which in and of itself is ok - protecting IP etc) but cause a lot of practical issues (reflashing back to stock, easily/quickly updating your base CALID to the latest for your 2010 if that's not the revision you were tuned on and then reapplying the tune on top of that, trying different tuners or letting one pickup where another left off).

I would promote opensource (RomRaider, EcuFlash, EcuEdit) as well but given the relative ease of COBBs solution, market saturation for this platform (in the US) and the fact that there are more than enough tables defined by COBB to make a Stage 1, 2 or n tune on an LGT 'easy' for the right tuner - it's really a no brainer.

The ability to unmarry and sell the AP and car when 'back to stock' is also attractive (down the line).

There are plenty of good COBB tuners on here as our site vendors.

Have a look in the appropriate section to find them or perhaps some members will chime-in with their recommendations.

Where are you located?

I'm on the Toronto area in Canada

Where is the "appropriate section" you're referring to? I'll definately take a look around there

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Perscitus covered pretty much all the bases, Cobb>open source

IMO and that of many others custom tune is the way to go in any case, you get so much more out of the car and hardware that way. And I never had an issue with the OTS tunes, but the custom is the best way to go.

Archived