LegacyGT.com

2010 Legacy 3.6R - CEL, E-Brake, Cruise, Traction light up - Er.Code P0305

Hello guys,

I've just pickup a Legacy 2010 3.6R Limited with less than 60K miles on it. When I test drove it all seem fine. Even after I drove it home (about 40min with city/hwy mix) nothing was lit or problematic.

However, after I swapped out the tires ALL 4, on the instrument panel all the above lights were triggered, I just assumed it is the traction that needs to be adjusted/reset after tire switch. But after driving for a while they lights never went away. And the engine started to idle and work rough.

Recent work:

Oil Change - ALL OK

Light bulb replacement- ALL OK

Tires change - problems start

OBD tool gave error code P0305 - which is misfire in cyl 5. cleared but the lights came back on.

After I did all my research (you guys are great), I noticed that it is a common problem with SOOO many different solutions/causes (electric, light bulb, shaft sensor, MAF sensor, torque converter, OCV. I've read that it probably an OCV issue and it is the cheapest step we can do.:)

Today I will try to do an engine flush and replace the oil.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome, will to to keep you posted.

Who or where did you buy it from? Depending on how quickly the lights came back on after you cleared the codes, a sketchy seller could have cleared them right before the test drive. Other than the miss on #5, what codes are you seeing? A bad OCV would more than likely manifest itself across cylinders 1, 3, and 5, rather than just the one. A single cylinder misfire could easily just be a bad coil pack, especially if you only feel it miss under heavy load. There's a couple of recent threads about that, but bad coils are usually very rusty and starting to peel apart. It's easy enough to swap coils between cylinders to see if the problem follows it (bad coil pack) or not (plug, injector, etc.).

Also, when you say light bulb replacement, are you talking headlights, or did you change out the tail lights for LEDs? That seems to be a pretty sure-fire way to light up the Christmas tree like you're seeing, so if you did in fact change to LED bulbs, I'd change back and see if that helps. Cheaper than an OCV.

Also - do you have anything permanently plugged into the OBDII port, especially a wireless dongle that talks to say Torque/Torque Pro by any chance?

The Steering Sensor or something to do with the ABS/TPMS might have been damaged during the tire swap, that too can cause the 'Christmas Lights' show but would not cause the Misfire on Cylinder 5 DTC/CEL.

Got it privately. Really don't think so. As we did several start and engine shut downs when checking out the car. The CEL or such would've lit up.

Yea it was a headlight replacement only.

On my way to mechanic, stopped at Partsource they read the error again...same misfiring cyl 5.

The lights keep going off and on when driving...very strange...the car seems to jerk around when idle or accelerating.

Nothing plugged in in OBD.

OK - in that case everything points to an issue on Cylinder #5. (Passenger side, last cylinder on Bank #1 - closest to the firewall cylinder, directly below the intake).

It could be the injector being clogged, the coil pack, or a few other things.

You could use RomRaider's logger, FreeSSM or BtSsm app with a VAG COM Kline cable to monitor the count of Misfires on all cylinders, and see what's going on.

My vote - clogged injector on Cylinder 5 if the coil pack looks good.

A few start-up/shut-down cycles wouldn't throw this CEL - count of misfires has to pass a particular threshold.

Do you get a flashing 'Traction control' light when the Christmas light show starts or even before it starts? That's one of the things that will happen when certain types of misfires are registered by the ECU.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a coil pack or spark plug.

I feel like someone posted a picture of a bad coil pack in somewhat recent history, but I haven't been able to find the picture or the thread. If I find it, I'll drop a link here so you know what a bad coil looks like.

Ok. Guys thank you for replies/ideas.

It wasn't few starts/shutdows, several plus a trip from the selling location I didn't get any lights.

Yes. That traction light is on but solid not flashing. Flashing is the Parking Brake light and CEL is randomly flashing/on/off...weird.

The CEL will flash "every time" it detects a misfire. I say that in quotes because it obviously can't flash that fast. The rest are likely just the usual christmas tree telling you the CEL is on.

I'd also recommend the coil/injector/plug diagnosis steps stated above.

update:

Oil/engine flush performed- glad I did as the car needed it, changed air and oil filter.

still gave Code P0305, cleared

As was leaving the shop, noticed the following;

CRUISE Ctrl is NOT flashing

Traction light -lit solid

Handbrake - flashing entire ride

CEL - will come on randomly - flash, then go away, then randomly come on (flashing) and repeat.

I guess CEL will detect misfire and will announce it, then all OK it will go away till next detection.

Ride still feels harsh with few spurs here and there and when stopped it will kick a bit.

Not very technical, but try running upper cylinder lubricant through the gas and tapping the injector with the handle of a screwdriver that may free it if it is stuck.

I would start with the coil as mentioned above the ones on the rear part of the engine seem to be more exposed to the elements and tend to be the ones that start rusting and corroding faster.

thank you all so much for looking into this/diagnosis and recommendations

This morning, all went fine-no lights were triggered/on, but as the car warmed up - christmas tree lit up and the car was running rough.

...so coil/plugs/injector inspection is next.

Might as well change the spark plugs while at it, as it is due to be done at this stage.

Archived