LegacyGT.com

Is this a turbo legacy

tbwalker28

Hi all,

I am new to legacy turbos and I am looking at one on CL.

It is in rough shape but I am looking to start somewhere and want the expertise of you guys before i buy anything.

here is the link:

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-subaru-legacy-turbo-awd/6542394081.html

First, is it actually a turbo? If so can someone point to the parts that indicate such in the engine bay? I am a total noob and have never seen under the hood of a turbo legacy...

Second, do these cars come with intercoolers? If so where do they generally mount it? I see a little scoop in the hood that I figured was for an intercooler but i don't see one under the hood...

Thanks for any and all responses!

Tom

Looks like it's a turbo - they usually sit passenger side, rear of engine compartment. Follow the air-intake from the filter, should go into the turbo. if it goes into the throttle body / engine first, then no turbo.

I don't spy an intercooler.

Ok, is it that oval shaped part immediately right of the 90 on the back of the air box?

I have just never seen a stock one on a legacy before and it doesn't look like other turbos i have seen.

Does anyone know if they came with an intercooler? or maybe just certain models?

This one is a 91

that year has an air to water intercooler. The little snorkle looking thing that matches up with the duct from the hood scoop should go down to the intercooler. I circled it in the picture below. I have a service manual for the 92, but not the 91 and it appears things might be a little different (in terms of the location, in the 92 it has a radiator cap on it, but looks different than what the one in the car you pictured has - there is also a second, electronic water pump to drive coolant through the intercooler)

there's an older thread on NASIOC with someone selling one, and the engine bay looks the same

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930535

Capture.thumb.JPG.657933a2a73edcfd5281a1d0ae45883d.JPG

I think you should fly out and give it a look see,

on the grid here cars101 has the manual or auto trans as "optional" on the sport sedan 1991.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive.html

Yeah I saw the grid on cars101 just after posting that.

Worked at subie not long after these things came out. (96-2000). Saw very few of them (think our dealership had 1 come across the lot used) and never saw a manual. . . guess everyone sprung for the optional auto.

I have no desire to own a nearly 30 year old turbo subie no matter how many internet cool points it wins me.

I have no desire to own a nearly 30 year old turbo subie no matter how many internet cool points it wins me.

and if debbie downer had one dropped on her driveway by santa,

she would only consider it scrap metal. ...and not the greatest subaru ever. :lol:

giphy.gif

No kidding - the car looks whipped. Interior is a mess, leaks oil, shakes at speed, and who know what else is wrong with it - no rust (because NM), but you know every connector/plastic piece is going to be brittle and fall apart if you try and work on it... Looking at the interior and all the crap, i have my doubts that the car has been well cared for... no ac (well - there's a compressor, but clearly not a belt driving it...) and odds are there are other things broken (alternator looks new, and they claim a new (or recently replaced) steering knuckle...)

if you need a car in that price range, there are many options - even just checking craigslist - that would be a better risk. Definitely do more than a basic looking-over of any car in that range - check compression, inspect the brakes and suspension, etc. - there are many good <$1k cars out there, but there are more nightmares, so be careful! (I would be really leery of a turbocharged engine at this price point)

Archived