LegacyGT.com

SOA is replacing sticky dash, are there other things to look at while Dash is removed

I used it a lot before though, not just a couple of times.

How hot does it get in CT though or where you live?

90's during the July and Aug are getting more common, 2020 I think we had over 34 day's above 90F. Couple of day's over 100F. Seems the average is becoming 10-14 day's above 90.

found this,

Hartford Breaks Record for Most Days at 90 Degrees or Higherwww.usnews.com › ... › Best States › Connecticut News

Aug 26, 2020 — ... for most days in a year with temperatures at or above 90 degrees, the ... the 39th day of 2020 that the temperature has been at or above that

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dash doesnt melt in CT but gets sticky and creates excessive reflection from the shine - eventually may crack. When I bought my car I thought the guy applied Armor all until I tried to wipe it. The rag stuck to the dash. Took it to the forum and realized its a widespread issue and the recall had expired. Finally reached out to SOA and they told me to have it confirmed by a dealer. The dealer agreed it was sticky and provided a quote which was submitted to SOA. I kindly explained to SOA that I couldnt afford $2000 for the repair and asked if there was any chance they could help with the purchase of the part. They offered $500 and I was very happy. I think you can only hope for the part since the recall has long expired.

I recently pulled some parts from an 07 legacy GT part out and the dash was also sticky.

• 4 months later...
Thanksgiving was bit busier than I expected with family and what not, so I didn't get the time to give the Stickydashfix a shot. Unfortunately, my next day off is 12/19 so it's going to be a little while.

I will still report back my findings when I get to it.

Any luck with the StickyDashFix stuff ? I'm thinking about giving it a shot too, but I cannot find any un-biased info about it. FWIW, I tried a test patch with some water-based polyurethane and so far it looks pretty decent.

Check out this thread, to find a possible fix for the sticky dash.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/sticky-dash-282571.html

Watch the video I linked today.

If you search google, seems lots of cars have the same issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Found out about the extended warranty coverage, shocker, ONE MONTH after it expired on my particular 2009's VIN. I have purchased a new cover at a hook up price from the good folks at my local dealership's parts department and haven't yet installed it. Do still have the second passenger inflator recall that needs to be performed so I'm probably going to get the recall done then swap dash myself to reduce any risks to the new pad. Don't know.

• 7 months later...
Found out about the extended warranty coverage, shocker, ONE MONTH after it expired on my particular 2009's VIN. I have purchased a new cover at a hook up price from the good folks at my local dealership's parts department and haven't yet installed it. Do still have the second passenger inflator recall that needs to be performed so I'm probably going to get the recall done then swap dash myself to reduce any risks to the new pad. Don't know.

I finally made an appointment to get the 2nd airbag (passenger) recall done on my '08 Outback. I would like to get the sticky dash replaced while they're in there but it sounds like the "official" procedure does not require removing the dash for this. The local dealer is giving me a estimate for the labor of anywhere from 1 to 9 hours depending on brittleness of clips and what not. :spin:

FYI - I got a link to the actual procedure and it seems to indicate that the current instructions are to remove "the instrument panel assembly in addition to the related interior trim components" (see page 21). Doesn't sound like the top of the dash is actually removed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V003-7963.pdf?fbclid=IwAR16Gi7pz9jmDnGbPd4MlkkBHh2XtjVKQv7keRfaXq30aS0zaaU5AwcclUY

Pretty sure "instrument panel assembly" means dashboard.

1548603137_ScreenShot2022-01-03at12_48_33PM.thumb.png.9237794e949289a6bbb3366d1156d2f8.png

Yeah, that's dashboard; it's referenced the same way in the service manual.

I've seen it done both ways, some techs are good enough to pull it from below; others follow the guide and remove the dash. I bet some techs figured out how to go from below to save time and reduce the chance of claims on damaged dashes.

Edited by Infosecdad

Thanks. Yeah, I've confirmed that at least my local dealer does NOT remove the top of the dash for this repair currently. Unfortunately. Still undecided if I want to go ahead and get a new one or just live with it.