LegacyGT.com

Adjustable rear control arms? Getting a bigger wheel/tire combo

2008 Subaru Legacy GT limited.

Feel free to light me up I guess, but I'm still relatively new to suspension and I'm still learning the ins and outs of it. I'm getting a set of Feal coilovers and upon research, I think I can put 18x9 cosmis wheels, +33 offset with a 235/245-35r18 tires. Just some fender rolling and slight pulling. I'm not happy with my 205/50/17s aesthetically...

I'm not a fan of camber, but I may need ~1-2ish front and rear to get the tires to go nicely with the height I want the car at. Does anyone know of a company that makes adjustable rear control arms for the 08 legacy to help with that adjustment? My buddie got some for his 13 wrx, but I can't find anything for mine. I saw something from whiteline for about 400 bucks, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right product.

Or will camber bolts be more than enough?

Im also picking up Cusco f/r sway bars, and front strut brace. Again, sorry if it's a stupid question! Just trying to do stuff the right way.

KTA 124 - $300-400

Look at my build thread. Not easy to fit tires of that size. I have 18x9 et35 255/40/18. If you have a wagon it will rub slightly on the inside. You will need to role and pull your fenders.

Your comment about camber - lol. You will not be able to get 18x9 et33 under your fenders without a decent amount of camber.

KTA 124

Make sure you check them regularly. Mine came loose over time and in less than 10,000 miles I burned through new rear tires down to the belt. In fact, it really happened toward the end of the 10,000 miles and the nuts backed themselves off finger loose. They were professionally installed.

Whiteline also does not recommend loctite as I recall and said they are are meant to be checked regularly because they are meant to be performance parts for off street use. Just a heads up. They're beefy though.

EDIT: Whiteline has a support phone number on their website and you can get someone knowledgeable on the phone right away. He had a recommended approximate torque spec but I forget what it was.

KTA 124 - $300-400

Look at my build thread. Not easy to fit tires of that size. I have 18x9 et35 255/40/18. If you have a wagon it will rub slightly on the inside. You will need to role and pull your fenders.

Your comment about camber - lol. You will not be able to get 18x9 et33 under your fenders without a decent amount of camber.

It's a sedan, and I got some good info off your build page on page 11 about sizes people have been running. I really want to get these:

https://cosmisusa.com/product/xt-206r/

but in 18s the smallest width they have are 9s with +33 offset. I'll pry have to sink to 235s, and I don't want to stretch 225s...ugh :spin:

In regards to the part, thank you! I appreciate it :)

Make sure you check them regularly. Mine came loose over time and in less than 10,000 miles I burned through new rear tires down to the belt. In fact, it really happened toward the end of the 10,000 miles and the nuts backed themselves off finger loose. They were professionally installed.

Whiteline also does not recommend loctite as I recall and said they are are meant to be checked regularly because they are meant to be performance parts for off street use. Just a heads up. They're beefy though.

EDIT: Whiteline has a support phone number on their website and you can get someone knowledgeable on the phone right away. He had a recommended approximate torque spec but I forget what it was.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll just integrate checking them with every oil change I do at 4k, and I should be solid.

You could get a paint pen and mark them. If the line doesn't matter h up, you need to fix.

The rear trailing arm is the limiting factor. In the front you can get 275/30/18 in the fenders with the right camber. Coilovers will help with inbound clearance.

Or you could use 18x8 +48 which is ideal fitment. 235 fit perfectly.

You could get a paint pen and mark them. If the line doesn't matter h up, you need to fix.

The rear trailing arm is the limiting factor. In the front you can get 275/30/18 in the fenders with the right camber. Coilovers will help with inbound clearance.

Or you could use 18x8 +48 which is ideal fitment. 235 fit perfectly.

The more research i do, the more I chance my mind. :spin: On the 04-07 legacy's I've seen people run 18x9.5 +40 offset with 255/35s. It looks really good and is now what I'm considering if I can find a wheel I like that comes in +40.

The other factor being I don't know if the clearance on the 04-07 legacy's is the same as the 08-09s :confused:

Yeah the shop marked them with paint markers so it would be nice and easy to check. Just take a quick peek and you’re good to go.

Good call on that to you and box, surprised that idea went over my head :lol:

The more research i do, the more I chance my mind. :spin: On the 04-07 legacy's I've seen people run 18x9.5 +40 offset with 255/35s. It looks really good and is now what I'm considering if I can find a wheel I like that comes in +40.

The other factor being I don't know if the clearance on the 04-07 legacy's is the same as the 08-09s :confused:

Clearance will be the same for all Gen 4 Legacys. The facelight didn't change anything track width wise from what I remember

The ppl who running that combination are not stock. You need to check all the details.

I attempted 18*9.5 +35. It didn't work. The rear trailing arm gets in the way. A 255 is too narrow for the rim unless you get a very wide tire... different maker have different interpretations of 255.

If yoour car doesn't feel like it has enough grip, a wider tire is not the solution. A sticker tire is. A 235 race slick will destroy your wheel bearings in a couple of laps. Also will you 1.5g.

Archived