LegacyGT.com

Using ACC around town

ACC isn't designed for stop-and-go traffic, but that doesn't keep many people from using it that way ... with mixed results. EyeSight is a driver-assist system, not an autopilot. Don't expect it to drive the car for you. Better to think of it as a polite and very attentive back-seat driver. If you're doing it right, you will seldom be aware that EyeSight's even there.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ACC isn't designed for stop-and-go traffic, but that doesn't keep many people from using it that way. EyeSight is a driver-assist system, not an autopilot. Don't expect it to drive the car for you. Better to think of it as a polite and very attentive back-seat driver. If you're doing it right, you will seldom be aware that EyeSight's even there.

I know it definitely isn’t gonna drive the car for me or anything, but Subaru advertises that acc works in stop and go. So to say it’s not designed for that wouldn’t be correct, right? I definitely use it to be more on the lazy side while driving but obviously I keep an eye out as if I was driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Subaru doesn't actually "advertise that acc works in stop and go." Have you actually read the EyeSight Owners Manual?

Page 32:

Adaptive Cruise Control is a driving support system intended to allow more comfortable driving on expressways, freeways and interstate highways.

Page 33:

Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for use on expressways, freeways, tollroads, interstate highways and similar limited access roads. It is not intended to be used in city traffic.

Page 35:

Under conditions such as these, do not use Adaptive Cruise Control:

• When driving in an urban, or suburban environment (Adaptive Cruise Control is not appropriate for use in these driving areas. Adaptive Cruise Control should only be used on limited-access highways.)

Hard to be more explicit than that.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Regardless of what the manual says , I use it regularly around town .

Primarily to not get a speeding ticket .

My little city thrives on that type of revenue and it is darn hard to not end up

speeding on 30 , 35 MPH roads . There's a stretch of 3 lane ( each direction )

road that was 55 forever that they changed to 45 because ....... who knows ??

They patrol that like it's a major crime area and give commuters tickets every

day , all day . People apparently don't learn .

The ACC functions perfectly fine for this environment , with driver oversight .

George

There is language in the Owners Manual telling you that Eyesight is NOT DESIGNED TO BE USED AROUND TOWN IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC! I view that as standard, "we are not responsible for..." language...

In reality I have completely ignored that since day two, since it took a day to get comfortable with how it works. I have never had an issue though when someone cuts you off in traffic the system has a hard time accommodating it, just like you would as a driver if you had ACC off.

As far as downsides, I doubt your brakes fade in that type of driving (though I have never used ACC on a track, LOL), but:

• The car will use slightly more gas, since it does not see further than the cameras and your eyes can pick up traffic patterns well in advance of how the car responds, so while I might have stopped accelerating to coast to that next red light, ACC might still be on the accelerator
  • The car uses the brakes a bit more (due to that acceleration), while not excessive, you will go through brake pads quicker
  • It is slow as a grandma accelerating from a stop (in this case it saves gas, but not when I override it with my foot on the accelerator, then that savings goes 'poof'). To be fair, the Legacy is a dog accelerating from a stop, ACC or not, ACC just makes this worse.
  • I generally play with the settings so that I am at 1-2 bars in heavy traffic to reduce the gap between me and the car I am following to discourage morons from merging in front of me when there isn't safe space to do so. This happens a lot if your follow distance is too far, because the car accelerates like a grandma if you let it do its thing, and where I live, there are a lot of aggressive (bad) drivers
  • don't use ACC to maintain speed if you descend a long steep hill (e.g. for me that means coming into Bennington VT down a 2 mile decline or when I drive over Route 2 into North Adams) -- it rides the brakes like an old person, use manual mode and downshift to hold a gear that keeps the car from speeding up constantly
  • If your follow distance is too long, and the road becomes curvy sometimes you lose tracking on the vehicle in front of you, meaning when you come out of the curve ACC might be accelerating a bit too much (remember, the legacy is still a bit of a dog, but a human might not accelerate in a curve where ACC might) until it locks back on the car in front and then it brakes to match speed again
  • As self driving Uber taught us, you still have to watch for pedestrians and wildlife crossing the road...

Overall, the system works better than most drivers that I need to be near on my commute, and I have not come close to a fender bender while it does everything but steer around town, with the only close calls being the same ones a non-Eyesight owner would experience, namely a bad driver who cuts in front of you when they really shouldn't, or you come around a corner and traffic is at a dead stop.

ACC only really works optimally when you are following a rabbit (car in front of you). In that case you still have to watch for things like traffic on a highway at a dead stop 200 yards ahead of you while you and the car you are following are cruising along at 70mph.

At city speeds, if you are under 25 mph you probably don't need to worry about that, since the system can stop the car completely from lower speeds, whether the driver sees that car stop in front or not.

I know there are luddites who hate that we use ACC around town, but look at the struggle we still must face, we still have to steer...

PS: The point of offering Start/Stop ACC for highway use only? Please clue me in to the difference between the rare occasion where you are on a highway and in stop/go traffic, vs on my commute (typical 2-4 lane roads, sub 50mph suburban traffic with traffic lights)?

in other words, the system would work exactly the same in either driving condition, and the things that a driver without ACC needs to watch out for include the same issues I pointed out above:

• Jackalopes who dangerously merge in front of you when there is no safe space to do so,
  • or traffic at a dead stop where it is unexpected
  • unexpected pedestrian or animal crossings

(and this assumes you have no car in front of you to pace you, or that the rabbit in front of you somehow misses the opportunity to see traffic stopped ahead and starts to brake, because if the rabbit starts emergency braking, and you are following with ACC, your car will do the same. All things being equal if the car in front can stop in time, so will you).

Eyesight is active all the time if not temporarily interrupted but ACC is only activated by the driver. Yes you can use ACC improperly but YOU take all responsibly when something goes wrong.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I live in Chicago, actually Chicago not a suburb & I use it all the time in traffic.

I have to go downtown several days a week, morning & afternoon rush hour. I often get stuck in creeping stop & go traffic, that's where I'll use the ACC. I don't rely on it 100%, but I hate the creep and the car handles that just fine.

I also use it on the stretches that have speed cameras to make sure the car maintains a "safe" speed.

I do always keep an eye on traffic and do turn it off/on when needed.

I do feel it is the best feature that I didn't know I was getting and now don't want to be without it.

Because it's easier to find a forum, create an account, validate it, and post a thread instead of looking in the manual... :rolleyes:

Well, in this case anyway, reading the manual and following that would lead you away from the practical every day uses of the capabilities of an Eyesight equipped Subaru...

Those who use ACC around town, you are like the test pilots of yore, helping Subaru to prepare for their driverless future! Onward!

Archived