LegacyGT.com

Where can I buy this part?

I've seen around here a few times or people having issues with the light in the gear shifter. Specifically in the M-D section.

I too have this problem with that specific light not working/ flickering.

I haven't been able to find a solution to this issue either by myself or on here.

I have taken the shifter assembly apart somewhat to extract the LED itself.

I do think is it this part because if i wiggle the wires nothing happens. But that's not a great test obviously.

Still I think I just want to replace the LED, as that is the likely culprit.

My problem now is that I cant actually find this part on the internet anywhere.

https://imgur.com/ImhZW20

I can't see well enough on the picture, but I wonder if the solder joints are cracked. 4th gens have a problem where that's the culprit, and the fix is to reflow the solder (not with the shifter LED, it's with a circuit board in the overhead light area). I'd be surprised it if it was the LED itself, but anything is possible.

Warranty should cover that if your still under warranty,also I believe you can’t just replace that part you need th whole assembly

I bought the car used so I don't think there is a factory warranty. I actually don't know though.

I can't see well enough on the picture, but I wonder if the solder joints are cracked. 4th gens have a problem where that's the culprit, and the fix is to reflow the solder (not with the shifter LED, it's with a circuit board in the overhead light area). I'd be surprised it if it was the LED itself, but anything is possible.

Actually, that's not something I considered. I thought it was one of those other components on that board that was failing. But I can touch my soldering iron to each joint and reflow each joint. I'll try that.

That fixed it! Thank you for suggesting that. It was driving me nuts!

On the circuit board, I added more solder to the connector (not that it really needed it , just make me feel more comfortable). I also reflowed all the joints on the board.

There is a Zener diode (why this is here for just an LED, I'll never understand). When I reflowed the anode of this diode, the whole diode shifted. This was likely the cause all along. More solder on that joint and Bam! Now it works.

That fixed it! Thank you for suggesting that. It was driving me nuts!

On the circuit board, I added more solder to the connector (not that it really needed it , just make me feel more comfortable). I also reflowed all the joints on the board.

There is a Zener diode (why this is here for just an LED, I'll never understand). When I reflowed the anode of this diode, the whole diode shifted. This was likely the cause all along. More solder on that joint and Bam! Now it works.

Good that you got it fixed. I have no clue why they have those circuit boards instead of just putting down a standard 194 bulb.

For the future, those boards come as a pair; one for the M-D and the other for the P-R-N and run about $80.

• 7 months later...
Good that you got it fixed. I have no clue why they have those circuit boards instead of just putting down a standard 194 bulb.

For the future, those boards come as a pair; one for the M-D and the other for the P-R-N and run about $80.

Would you happen to have the part number on this circuit boards?thanks

I too would like to know. The repair has since failed. Now it's just always off. Better than flickering but still annoying

Here is the part #35170AL00A

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/oem-parts/subaru-housing-35170al00a/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c2hpZnRlci10cmltJmk9NzUyNzM3MDUmcj04JmE9c3ViYXJ1Jm89bGVnYWN5Jnk9MjAxNiZ0PTItNWktcHJlbWl1bSZlPTItNWwtaDQtZ2Fz

Thank you.

Still seems like a lot of money since I just only need the LED, but it is what it is

Yup it’s sucks,my car is only 29K miles and with gold plan warranty($100)deductible,I might as well just order the part and do it myself

But for now I will try to re-solder all the connection on the board.

Yup it’s sucks,my car is only 29K miles and with gold plan warranty($100)deductible,I might as well just order the part and do it myself

But for now I will try to re-solder all the connection on the board.

Shouldn't that be covered under the standard 3yr/36,000mi warranty, no deductible?

That’s what I’m about to find out first thing Monday morning I’ll have to give my local dealer a call and see what they say.

Good you found the PN, it was on another thread on here too.

btw, if you are in the 3/36 warranty, the dealer will cover it under warranty. I had to go twice for our OB as they had to order the part. YMMW. I covered up my shifter area with a leather shift boot cover. Don't care it the lights come on or not :)

Archived