LegacyGT.com

Sirius Unsubscribes After Turning Off Car

I searched but could not find a thread here about this specific problem. I have a 2015 2.5 Limited. I live outside of Washington DC and never had a satellite reception problem. I've resubscribed to Sirius many times after my initial free four months, with no issues until now. My problem is that every time I shut off the car and restart it I get the "channel unsubscribed" (or something like that) error and have to send a refresh signal to get the channels back. After that everything works fine until I turn off the car again. Very frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've called Sirius a number of times and they tell me that everything is fine with my service/signal and it must be my radio, so I should take it to the dealer. My warranty just expired so I'm not inclined to do that of course. I've searched online and found other car threads (not Subaru) discussing this same problem, and it seems that the only solution in the cases I read was to replace radio.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had the same problem, and I had to get my radio replaced to fix it. If you warranty just recently expired, I would try reaching out to SOA to see if they would still be willing to cover a radio replacement given the situation.

I had the same problem, and I had to get my radio replaced to fix it. If you warranty just recently expired, I would try reaching out to SOA to see if they would still be willing to cover a radio replacement given the situation.
Thanks. It really seems strange to me that this would be a hardware problem. I know it was happening before my warranty expired but I thought for sure it was a problem with Sirius, not my radio, so I didn't mention it to the dealer when I came in for my last service. I remember calling Sirius for a refresh signal (again) when I was driving it home from the dealer. I guess if SOA won't do that I'll just have to keep getting refresh signals, since I can't imagine paying the price of a new radio. Would you recommend trying the dealer first or going straight to SOA? I've never done anything like this before.

I guess this must not have happened to many people, based on the few responses I've received. I still have trouble believing that this is caused by a hardware failure in the radio. It works perfectly otherwise. Does anyone think this could be fixed by a software update? I've purposely not done the updates since there seem to be a number of people that experience things that don't work right after the update, and everything works fine with my radio (other than this new Sirius problem).

^^^you should always look to get things resolved BEFORE your warranty expires and your assumption could be correct or incorrect so why take a chance? I am not aware of anyone having issues after the firmware updates as I have done them all, as have several others, and the head unit in the 15-17 Legacy's has been fairly bullet proof as far as head units are concerned. I would get the latest update and see what happens. If it does not fix the issue, you may have to beg SOA to replace your HU being out of warranty as I doubt your dealer will be so kind to do so. Let us all know how it turns out but my suggestion to everyone approaching your end of warranty...go to the dealer for even the smallest things and get it documented or you may be SOL:eek:

Hi,

Im having the same problem. See pix. Dealer has been working on it for about 2 wks. Dealer sent me a lg PDF from Subaru, I answered 17 quest, then they sent it back to Subaru.

If you want see questionnaire, I scan it & post it. Maybe if you show it to your dealer, they can get it moving/solved for you.

Will keep this post informed as to my situation.

2024461884_email-xmradionotinitializing.JPG.32b948250266520847796bb374e195f8.JPG

2146937507_emailyellowarrowxm.JPG.3ba4d496c3eee8a75edc931f6ed7093b.JPG

42676365_chainwhlklx.png.8780d6ab0c9d1db6b4e46acb0de677f7.png

Edited by klxdrt
add space between img.Forum doesnt allow.

^^^you should always look to get things resolved BEFORE your warranty expires and your assumption could be correct or incorrect so why take a chance? I am not aware of anyone having issues after the firmware updates as I have done them all, as have several others, and the head unit in the 15-17 Legacy's has been fairly bullet proof as far as head units are concerned. I would get the latest update and see what happens. If it does not fix the issue, you may have to beg SOA to replace your HU being out of warranty as I doubt your dealer will be so kind to do so. Let us all know how it turns out but my suggestion to everyone approaching your end of warranty...go to the dealer for even the smallest things and get it documented or you may be SOL:eek:

Really???* I had no idea I should resolve things before the warranty expires!! Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?* This is the first car I've ever had with satellite radio and I never would have thought it could actually be a hardware fault in the radio, with these kind of symptoms.* But live and learn, if that really what it is. I may try the software update, which I believe I can do myself, but I'll probably talk to the dealer first.

Hi,

Im having the same problem. See pix. Dealer has been working on it for about 2 wks. Dealer sent me a lg PDF from Subaru, I answered 17 quest, then they sent it back to Subaru.

If you want see questionnaire, I scan it & post it. Maybe if you show it to your dealer, they can get it moving/solved for you.

Thanks. I would like to see the questionnaire, if you wouldn't mind posting it. I would think they would just replace your radio, and that shouldn't take 2 weeks.

Hi,

Can someone tell me how I can upload a 24 pg 8mb pdf to this forum. I'm sure I can screen capture the pages of the 17 q I answered plus the page I added give them addl info.

regards,

1245400979_chainwhlklx.png.c4384c9b30f45de848eb9d5cfa0c6793.png

Edited by klxdrt
spell error

Hi,

Having this same exact issue. Only happens to presets 1-4. I reprogrammed them 3 times. I've decided to not reprogram them and just use the other available presets, and so far so good.

Let us know what the dealer figures out!

• 4 years later...

Same Problem.  Started about 4 weeks ago with cold weather.  The reason I mention the temperature is that for the prior year or so, only in cold weather, Sirius would very occasionally come on at startup and be missing some info like the song and artist listings, or occasionally not be able to change the channel.  Restarting the car always corrected the issue.   All was well in warmer temps.  Now I have Sirius refresh the radio which works until I shut off the car.   I'm going to pull the radio (easy with many videos on YouTube) and clean connectors just to see what happens.  Question: does anyone know if there is any sort of anti-theft code built into the F-Ten Units such that if I install a used replacement unit, it would not work?  AKA, has anyone successfully replaced the unit with a used one?   

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I know this is an old thread, but here is my fix:    I bought a radio on eBay, swapped in my memory card on the front panel and installed it.  Changed the radio number on Sirius, did a refresh and Bingo.   Satellite fixed.  Note that there was no need to deal with any anti-theft code, it just worked after the swap.   Just be careful purchasing a radio.   The Harmon Kardon version of the radio has the same part number as the non-HK, but different plugs to support the extra amps.  Make sure you get a picture of the back panel of anything you buy and match it to the one you have in the car before purchase.   Also note that a dealer informed me that there is a recall on the 2018-2019 radios, but not on 2015-2017.   

Edited by musicman