LegacyGT.com

Swapping WRX and LGT brakes onto an OBXT?

ZachCouch

I just bought my first Subaru, an '05 Outback XT. I'm loving it, but as a 13 year old car, it has some quirks and kinks that I'm slowly identifying and fixing. One thing I noticed very quickly is the brakes aren't that great. They work for now, but new ones are on my short list. I've read in a few threads and have been told on Reddit that some people swap LGT rotors onto their OBXT's. I'm definitely going that route for the rotors, at least the front ones. But will the rear ones fit on an OBXT? How about calipers? I've been told that '06-'07 WRX calipers will fit on an '05 OBXT, at least the front ones. Can anyone confirm that? What about the rear calipers? How do '06-'07 WRX calipers compare to '05 LGT and OBXT ones? Thanks for any help or advice, guys.

Swapped GT calipers (just the fronts, the rears are the same size as GT just not vented),and better DBA rotors and Hawk ceramic pads with a fluid flush onto my ‘08 XT and it solved the underbraking issue beautifully. I used to run OEM calipers / rotors on my ‘05 GT wagon track car and they did quite well with just track pads / lines / high temp fluid so I knew they would be up to the task for a daily driver

I'm curious about the same things, as my OBXT's brakes feel anemic as well. I have already purchased some Stoptech pads (not installed yet so have no advice to give here) to hopefully help with some of the braking feel.

Do the front LGT rotors and rear H6 rotors swap straight over with the XT pads? I have already bought new XT rotors front and rear but could swap them out if they make a noticeable difference.

LGT rotors are bigger than the Outbacks so I assume the pads might be bigger as well? Swapping to LGT calipers with a more aggressive pad is your most cost effective option for sure. Wouldn’t really bother with the rears as they just aren’t doing much to stop the car. All the weight is in the front anyway. Very happy with this set up.

LGT rotors are bigger than the Outbacks so I assume the pads might be bigger as well? Swapping to LGT calipers with a more aggressive pad is your most cost effective option for sure. Wouldn’t really bother with the rears as they just aren’t doing much to stop the car. All the weight is in the front anyway. Very happy with this set up.

IMO that's not exactly accurate . I kept the anemic OBXT fronts and with only the H6 rear rotor changed and decent rear pads a HUGE improvement was had. That nosedive the wagons do on heavy braking was reduced into a now well-managed squat. My two cents.

Archived