LegacyGT.com

Should I buy this GT with 225k miles?

I sold my 09 Outback 2.5i to get another GT. The one I looked at is a one owner 05. It was clearly maintained. He put a stage 1 map on it recently. Banjo filter removed long ago, everything kept up. It drives and shifts smooth. After my test drive, it smelled like burning oil though. He said he hasn't needed to add oil. This one has the subwoofer and every option. It does have bubbling rust on the edge of the wheel well though. He also will not budge from $4000.

OR, should I just get another N/A model to be safe? Mine was the base model, I'd like one with the sunroof and a subwoofer since the stock stereo is horrid, IMO.

My recommendation would be to take it to a qualified Subaru mechanic for a PPI. The mechanic should give you an idea if the asking price is reasonable or not for the condition of the car.

Personally I would avoid any vehicle with 225K miles. This is because I look at how many miles I expect to get out of a car. At 225K miles I consider the majority of miles "used up".

How many miles do you expect to put on the car every year? Are you mechanically savvy? Have a location to work on it? Have some money to spend on maintenance / repairs?

It's sort of hard to pass up a nice 09 Forester for the same price but I really miss the turbo. I'm leaning further away from that one. I did like the way it drove though.

I've found a couple others but they are both far away. One has 190k, rebuilt motor, the other has 150k all original including the banjo filter.

Both are $4k which seems reasonable.

I loved the factory subwoofer (Harmon Kardon?) in the 05 I drove. Is there a way to tell if these ones have it too, or is it just a random factory add on?

One thing I noticed on this one was that the drivers seat seemed to have an 8 way adjustment. It was really comfortable. The 3 Limited's I had before didn't have a thigh/forward height adjustment, the seats were always flat and uncomfortable. Nor did they have a lit compass, also on an auto-dimming rearview mirror.

Is this one a super Limited trim or did I just not have fully loaded limited's before? I'm pretty confused on this.

Unless for some reason I'm not remembering them right. I just don't want to drive 90 minutes for another one and be disappointed if the seat doesn't adjust much. Auto dimming mirror was neat too.

My LGTLW has all the extras you mentioned. Plus the bumper guards, and stainless Subaru trim on the ground effects, and inside the lower door well. It is nice but don’t be overtaken with those, and make a poor choice if it has rust. On a side note, and I’m sure it might cause a stink so my apologies in advance, but mine has had the banjo filters from day one. They are critical to keeping bearings from wiping themselves in the unlikely event the filter ever bypasses, or crud gets past the filter somehow. I wouldn’t worry too much about that point.

I bought my OBXT Limited for 4200$ with no rust whatsoever and 120k on it. Sadly a kid drifted his truck into me around a blind corner during a snowstorm 3 months later. Definitely keep looking, for 4k I would not settle for anything that isn't under 160k and relatively rust free. These cars are getting older and people are afraid of the maintenance which has really been driving the price down lately.

One thing I noticed on this one was that the drivers seat seemed to have an 8 way adjustment. It was really comfortable. The 3 Limited's I had before didn't have a thigh/forward height adjustment, the seats were always flat and uncomfortable. Nor did they have a lit compass, also on an auto-dimming rearview mirror.

Is this one a super Limited trim or did I just not have fully loaded limited's before? I'm pretty confused on this.

Unless for some reason I'm not remembering them right. I just don't want to drive 90 minutes for another one and be disappointed if the seat doesn't adjust much. Auto dimming mirror was neat too.

I think the compass and auto dimming mirror were options for the year. I don't see it as being a "super Limited" as my 2005 Outback has both, along with the subwoofer, and adjustable center arm rest.

I'd hate to sell my outback for something that isn't a Subaru. But I've found a 2009 Santa Fe Limited for only $4500, but its 3 hours away. The car makes more sense for the money. I'll post back here with what I end up with!

One thing I wanted to check with you all is that after my 30 minute test drive on one, the engine bay smelled like burning oil. Never smelled it in the car and I had the heat on. Not very uncommon on these, but it raises concern. Didn't see leaks either.

There was no smoke and I couldn't pinpoint where it came from.

One thing I wanted to check with you all is that after my 30 minute test drive on one, the engine bay smelled like burning oil. Never smelled it in the car and I had the heat on. Not very uncommon on these, but it raises concern. Didn't see leaks either.

There was no smoke and I couldn't pinpoint where it came from.

When mine did this it was a valve cover gasket. Others should be able to give you a more concrete answer.

My advice is to get a PPI from a qualified Subaru mechanic for any vehicle for which you are seriously considering buying. Get it beforehand so you know whether to make an offer or walk.

I have a 225k LGT wagon 5mt and my recent oil leak was rather large. It turned out to be $450 to pull intake manifold and replace some breather hoses underneath and clean a bunch other out. The passages plugged and it was puking oil on top of motor wherever it could due to excess pressure. I have no idea why it did not throw a CEL but maybe Subaru buried it.

Not sure of condition but $4k seems more like a $3k car but need a Subaru mechanic to get a real idea of what it will take.

After passing a compression test, getting a hold of records and somewhat making friends with the guy, I ended up buying it for $3200 which left me with $1300 extra. He said he would do the valve cover gaskets if they're leaking, but they look good and I haven't smelled oil again. What I DO smell is burning metal from the exhaust after driving for a while, like when someone gets on a car that hasn't warmed up.

Other than that the car really does run and drive even better than the other two I had. Better than my first that only had 90k on it. It is at stage one with nothing else done to it. I'm pretty happy with it but still plan on getting a new Forester XT to replace it when the time comes. The rust is only surface rust that looks like it just started. I can take care of that this spring. I know not to wait!

After passing a compression test, getting a hold of records and somewhat making friends with the guy, I ended up buying it for $3200 which left me with $1300 extra. He said he would do the valve cover gaskets if they're leaking, but they look good and I haven't smelled oil again. What I DO smell is burning metal from the exhaust after driving for a while, like when someone gets on a car that hasn't warmed up.

Other than that the car really does run and drive even better than the other two I had. Better than my first that only had 90k on it. It is at stage one with nothing else done to it. I'm pretty happy with it but still plan on getting a new Forester XT to replace it when the time comes. The rust is only surface rust that looks like it just started. I can take care of that this spring. I know not to wait!

Congratulations. How did you get him to come down on the price?

I just kept saying I wasn't paying that much. I went back to it several times to make sure I wanted it. I'm happy with it. It has the concerning shake at idle that seems like a misfire like my other ones did. But I think that's the nature of the beast.

http://i65.tinypic.com/j9rd35.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/ftq0ww.jpg

Congrats on the purchase! I sold my '05 LGT project car - beat to hell on the outside from the previous owner - with 215k miles on it for 3000 so that's probably a decent price.

If you haven't already you may want to remove the downpipe and check your banjo filters (if they're still there) and turbo shaft for any play out of an abundance of caution. It'd be great to check these things every so often while it's still new to you until you have confidence in it. Gonna be a lot cheaper to find something early if there is an issue lurking.

The color has grown on me. I actually hated it at first! It doesn't shake like it's an actual misfire, just sort of like a shudder/chug. There's a tuner I brought my old ones to that will check it over for free, so I'm setting something up for next week.

The banjo filter was pulled a long time ago. Very little shaft play. I'm going to get a catless up pipe and replace the turbo with a VF52. That's all I'm doing to it since it's just a daily driver/grocery getter.

Archived