LegacyGT.com

Lane Keep Assist hates my line...

On the '16 and up, it shows in the dash when ES picks up the lane markings. As to why it didn't pick up, it could be a multitude of reasons; lighting being one.

Unlike some of the other manufacturers, the ES system does not try to keep you in the center of the lane. It will let you drift around within the lane quiet a bit before engaging the LKA or the LDW.

On 2015 and up, fify

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

On 2015 and up, fify

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Hmmm. My '15 does not display on the dash when it detects the lane markings. When I swerve out of the lane without the turn signal it throws the flashing alert and the two solid white lines flash as well. But if I'm just driving in my lane the two solid white lines don't come on. On the '16 however once it picks up the line markings the solid white lines come on in the dash. I assumed it was a feature that got added with the LKA. My 15 only has the LDW. Am I missing something?

This is what I mean:

http://tinypic.com/r/2mi5kk0/9

Edited by tornichoe

• 1 year later...
I just joined and found your posts about lane keep assist. I’d welcome some feedback: I have a Legacy (March 2019, 2400 miles. The LKA is posing significant problems, kicking in when I’m centered in a lane and sharply pulling the car left. Two instances there wasn’t a lane on the left but a concrete wall (in tunnel underpass). A third instance on freeway overpass with no left lane...only short retaining wall and 30 foot drop to highway. Very fast, forceful manual correction saved the day. Subaru has tested, found car meets factory specifications. Has anyone else had similar experience? Presume I can disable but still the question: Why a safety feature that appears, certainly in my experience, to be unsafe? My car feels like HAL from Kubrick’s Space Odyssey! Any thoughts?

Two instances there wasn’t a lane on the left but a concrete wall (in tunnel underpass). A third instance on freeway overpass with no left lane...only short retaining wall and 30 foot drop to highway.

Presume I can disable but still the question: Why a safety feature that appears, certainly in my experience, to be unsafe?

First, there are many situations which are highlighted in the eyesight manual on when this feature might not work. This isn't a self-driving car feature, it is a driver assist feature that was designed to work under ideal conditions.

I could be incorrect, but the lane keep assist defaults to "off" every time you start the car and you need to manually turn it "on". This is how it is for my 2017 legacy at least. I would recommend not using lane assist when there are not both lanes that are visible, and in areas you have driven before and know it doesn't work well.

The fact that it is reacting similarly in all three of your similar indicates it is working as programed by Subaru, but just not to your liking! Since this occurrence seems repeatable, definitely record what you find by video and take it to the dealer and have your concerns documented.

Hi. Thanks for your comment. I cited the three most frightening episodes. This happens repeatedly on the highway, city streets...and in all cases I'm in the center of the lane. But for some reason the lane assist feature wants me to move elsewhere. Very troubling. Curious if I turn it off, what other system does it impact? Because two weeks ago all the dashboard lights went black when waiting for a red light to turn green. Major chimes and noises. Lights only came back on and alarms ceased only when I instinctively used the turn signal. This happened the day after the overpass episode. Subaru tested and found no error codes. Told it was "just a glitch." So I think I have reason to be concerned.

Hi again. One other point: I've read the manual (after I purchased the car and when I started experiencing this problem) and have highlighted the instances when the feature won't work. There are many. Hindsight is 20/20...only wish I was aware of this before I bought the car. Certainly no one at Subaru brought it up when trying to sell me the vehicle.

I have a '18 Legacy and my wife has a '18 Outback. Both have Eyesight. I use LKA all the time in my car and have never had anything remotely scary happen. My wife keeps LKA off all the time. She can't stand it. The fact that she's constantly drifting right when she drives I'm sure has nothing do with it.