LegacyGT.com

Security Systems

Sparkey

I've never had a security system but I recently purchased one and am considering returning it. Anyone actually used one and it be useful? Even with having to register it with the cops thats no guarantee they'll show up. I dont blame them or anything but I'm really not seeing it being as effective as proper security measures, standard deterrents, and the simple magnetic break alarms. Even if cops showed up to every alarm I dont feel it will do that much.

I know a few people who have switched companies, but no ones every really used or needed it and I hear a lot of complaints. Thoughts?

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

Two things to consider:

1) A good centrally-monitored system will provide fire detection and alarm functions as well as intrusion alarm.

2) Check with your insurance agent. A centrally-monitored security system will usually qualify for significant home insurance discounts. In our case, we save more on insurance premiums each year than the cost of our security system.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My father in law used ADT. My wife set it off when she forgot the code and ADT and the cops didn't respond in the 2 hrs it took her to contact her dad to shut the alarm off. F*cking useless. Her dad canceled the service after that.

Don't be paranoid. Get on with life and save your money. Get a yappy little terrier instead. About the same effect.

Don't be paranoid. Get on with life and save your money. Get a yappy little terrier instead. About the same effect.

Here's a bigger one. If you ever heard one barking in reality you'd realize what an unexpected visitor would think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNn5c2okCaU]Hovawart | Crufts Breed Information - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

The question is, what do you want the system to do?

If you are looking for water sensors, temperature sensors, door sensors, etc to monitor your house while you are away, there are simpler things you can do and you don't need a monitoring agency. (Nest, Samsung Smartthings, Wink, etc). These devices will send you text messages, emails, etc. If you think about it, what is the monitoring agency going to do if you have water in your basement and the alarm goes off? They are going to call you!

If you are looking for glass breakage, motion detection, smoke, etc for break-ins or fires, you can still do that with Nest, Samsung, Wink, etc, but will add additional sensors. The nice part is those systems are easily expandable for a reasonable price. They can be also be centrally monitored if desired but will call out via the internet. this may make them not be eligible for the home insurance discount by most major carriers. The call out typically needs to be via phone or cellular in my experience.

We have a full system I set up myself and 99% of the time, I use it to tell me if my sump pump is working and what the temperature of the house is.

If you are not technical like that, I would contact a trusted local installer familiar with the area. They are trained on how to properly set up a home and will give you ideas you never thought of.

Edited by CapnJack

The best security is wired CCTV with motion detectors. It will alert you on your phone. You can also view the cameras from your phone. Then double protection get a huge dog in the house. Edited by amusa

I'm no expert in the field, but I did a lot of research to decide what I wanted. I wasn't going to pay for a monitoring company and the delays for them to call police makes it almost worthless anyway, compared to cost. What I wanted was a loud alarm that scared away intruders, and also alerted me that an alarm was tripped. I back it up with what amusa suggested, a wired cctv (hd-tvi) system that also alerts me by text. I receive alarm or camera motion and can instantly check to see what's going on.

I went with a Pisector alarm system. Take a look on Amazon, read the reviews. It did what I wanted and was reasonably priced. Wireless means I can set the sensors anywhere I need them. The only false alarms I have had are stupid people (me) caused, like forgetting I have an alarm system when I get up at 4am. Both intrusion alarm systems and security camera systems have become affordable for normal people and will do a good job without paying for professional monitoring. Do your research and decide which systems work best for you.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After my research and everything I decided I dont need the monitoring company or anything. Just need to decide on the pieces and parts from what companies I want to compile it together.

For the suggestion of a doggo, I always have one and have the "Security dog" signs. Used to have a Husky Lab mix with a bark that would scare me sometimes and he wasnt a mean dog - just a VERY good watch dog. Now I have a pure Husky who's a big baby and whines more then barks. Oh well... people for whatever reason are still scared of him, so I'm ok with that haha.

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

• 2 years later...
I was searching similar information. Because I wanted to cctv camera set up in-front of my house but when ever I tried install cctv software at that time cctv installation failed. I was so frustrated with that issue. Need suggestion. Edited by cww516
Deleted link