LegacyGT.com

Removing resonators from Intake system

The intake system has 2 resonator son the intake. I was thinking of buying some stailess steel pipes from the auto parts store to delete those resonator

Doing some research, some sources say these resonators help with performance, while others say they dont do much.

So now I don't know what to do.

So what about the aftermarket intake that can be bought for this car? Doesn't that system also remove the resonators? How does that system providepower for this car?

Does anyone have the aftermarket intake system for this car? Did you notice an improvment over the OEM system?

The intake system has 2 resonator son the intake. I was thinking of buying some stailess steel pipes from the auto parts store to delete those resonator

Doing some research, some sources say these resonators help with performance, while others say they dont do much.

I've read the same claims about the resonators helping with performance, but haven't been able to either prove or disprove that in relation to our cars specifically.

So what about the aftermarket intake that can be bought for this car? Doesn't that system also remove the resonators? How does that system providepower for this car?

If you explore the forum, you'll find that several folks have done "milk jug" resonator deletes and I don't recall offhand any complaints about performance degradation.

There are several aftermarket intakes for our cars (SSD, aFe, Kakimoto, etc), but none of them requires deleting the big milk jug resonator in the front part of the car, though most do delete any resonators that might be built into the intake tube.

Does anyone have the aftermarket intake system for this car? Did you notice an improvment over the OEM system?

The most popular aftermarket intake on this 6th-gen forum is the aFe Power Takeda Stage 2, which comes in different variants for the 2.5 and 3.6. Some have found that without an ECU tune, the Takeda can actually hurt performance, but I've documented in the 6th Gen Tuning Thread (https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=5383&share_tid=248081&share_pid=5759450&url=http%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D5759450&share_type=t) how with an ECU tune, it can provide modest power gain by itself, and also how it can provide decent power gain in conjunction with an axleback exhaust.

What are your goals?

@redvenetian on Instagram

Thats a good question. I remember doing a "snorkus" delete on my 00 Forester. It sounded awesome without the intake resonators.....

I was actually not aware of anything other than the after intake. That is the only one that I could find anyway.

My plan was to make a pipe that connected the throttle body to the stock airbox. Which would've deleted two of the resonators.

My issue is that I just can't budget in $350 for an intake system. On my previous car (2011 mistubishi lancer) I only paid $190 for the intake. That's why I figured if I make a pipe then it cost alot less

My overall goal is to get the most performance and fun out what I have. I don't intend of racing or anything like that as this is my daily driver.

My overall goal is to get the most performance and fun out what I have. I don't intend of racing or anything like that as this is my daily driver.

My 6th-gen is the only car I own, and is my daily driver, so I appreciate where you're coming from.

But if your goal is really performance and fun, then you absolutely have to tune your ECU if you plan on changing the intake piping. Because that will mess up your MAF scaling, which greatly affects throttle response and power delivery. Speaking of which, if you're doing DIY intake tubing, you'll also have fabricate a hole and mounting point for the MAF sensor.

My 6th-gen is the only car I own, and is my daily driver, so I appreciate where you're coming from.

But if your goal is really performance and fun, then you absolutely have to tune your ECU if you plan on changing the intake piping. Because that will mess up your MAF scaling, which greatly affects throttle response and power delivery. Speaking of which, if you're doing DIY intake tubing, you'll also have fabricate a hole and mounting point for the MAF sensor.

Actually I was going to use the stock air box which has the MAF sensor mounted to it. The piping that I want to change has no sensors on it.

So what is tuning the ECU like for this car? On my last car is was close to impossible to do it yourself without knowledge of of coding and hexadecimal decrypting.

Can I tune the ECU myself on this car with say a tuner or do I need to pay someone to do it for me?

So what is tuning the ECU like for this car? On my last car is was close to impossible to do it yourself without knowledge of of coding and hexadecimal decrypting.

Can I tune the ECU myself on this car with say a tuner or do I need to pay someone to do it for me?

Once my car passes break-in I'll be getting it tuned by XRT. xtremeracingtuning.com May want to check them out.

Once my car passes break-in I'll be getting it tuned by XRT. xtremeracingtuning.com May want to check them out.

What page are their rates posted on? I tried to find it but it's doesn't really say anywhere.

They also be mention a Cobb access tuner. Correct me if I am wrong but instead that a tuner that you plug into your car to program the ECU right from the device? If that were the case why could I not just use that?

Actually I was going to use the stock air box which has the MAF sensor mounted to it. The piping that I want to change has no sensors on it.

You have your MAF sensor on your airbox? No kidding. What exact Legacy model and year do you own?

Do check out the 6th-gen tuning thread I linked to in my earlier post.

You have your MAF sensor on your airbox? No kidding. What exact Legacy model and year do you own?

Do check out the 6th-gen tuning thread I linked to in my earlier post.

Sure do. Mine is the 2015 premium 2.5i. I didn't realize that wasn't a standard thing

The general rule when changing something with the intake or exhaust is to get a tune since any mods will change how the sensors measure. On the intake the MAF and MAP will be impacted, on the exhaust the O2 may be impacted.

So until you have a budget for a tune you should leave it as is. The resonators don't really impact your performance either.

453747.png

Archived