LegacyGT.com

Questions

I have a Subaru Legacy Sport and have two questions:

1.) Why does the front defroster go full blast when you turn it on and I have to turn down the fan speed? Any way around this?

2.)Why do the HVAC controls only light up at night when you have the headlights in the ON position and not in the AUTO position? Any way to get them on in AUTO?

Thanks

Hi-

You might add the year of your car, that might make a difference in mode/operation and help get your question(s) answered.

1. My 17 does the same - goes full blast when I hit defrost. I run HVAC in manual mode and although I rarely need it, when I do I immediately turn it down from tornado to gentle breeze. I could not find a setting to change this but there are some savvy owners on here.

2. With my headlights on "AUTO" and it's dark enough for them to be on (green indicator) all my red panel lights are activated.

I have a Subaru Legacy Sport and have two questions:

1.) Why does the front defroster go full blast when you turn it on and I have to turn down the fan speed? Any way around this?

2.)Why do the HVAC controls only light up at night when you have the headlights in the ON position and not in the AUTO position? Any way to get them on in AUTO?

Thanks

I have a 2015. There is a sensor to identify whether the interior lights should be in 'night mode' or not. When it is raining during the day, I turn on my headlights, and the interior lights do not dim. The sensor knows it is too bright, not night time, stay on 'day mode'. At night when my headlights are on (ON or AUTO) the interior lights dim because the sensor knows it is dark and the interior lights should be in 'night mode'.

You can definitely adjust the sensitivity of the AUTO lights, set a little delay if your lights come on when passing under a bridge for example.

I think you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, but I don't think you can adjust the dimness of the radio backlight. It's either bright or dim. The dash can be adjusted with the dial on the left control panel.

You turn your defroster on to dehumidify and defog/defrost the windshield. When you first turn it on, the system is trying to quickly defog/defrost the windshield. If you're doing so while the engine is cold, there is not enough warm coolant to warm the HVAC output air to raise the due point and defog the glass. So, with low temp outlet air, the conditioned output velocity needs to be increased.

I used to fight this, but when I'm getting on the road quickly after startup and my window is fogging badly, I either wait a littler longer or let the HVAC output at high velocity to clear the windshield. Seems to work well.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I'm sorry that I forgot to type in that it is a 2017.

Thanks to who submitted input.

I'll guess that I'll have to live with the front defrost coming on full blast and just turn it down quickly.

I'll keep my eye in the HVAC controls lighting. Maybe it's OK when it is dark enough.

Archived