LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy Sedan Base Model Electrical Issues!

Chidzz

Hey Guys.

New to forum. Wondering if any of you subaru gurus could shed some light on my issue. Recently bought a 2008 legacy sedan. Very happy with it. Probably my 5th or 6th Subaru over my lifetime. Mechanically in excellent condition but having some electrical problems.

When i purchased the car the "Heat Control unit / radio cd" did not work but ALL the air functions did. including the rear defrost. So the unit would not illuminate and no radio or CD functions worked. the screen would not turn on. Also I noticed the interior roof lights not working, Door puddle lights and door open sensors not working, key FOB not working, Clock above the heat control unit also has no life. Block heater also not working.

I was told by my trusted mechanic that I needed a new heat control panel. So i got a used one because i was told they are $1400 new but still paid alot to replace the unit. I was told "something was wrong with wiring harness" but they fixed that too. This leads me to believe i did not need the entire unit but that something was wrong with the wiring. Previous owner had an aftermarket deck in the trunk so i believe that the previous owner did some tampering but then gave up and sold it.

So i replaced the heating control unit, including wire harness apparently and now the radio and CD player work. The unit does not illuminate and the pre sets do not save when i shut the car down and turn it back on. So I paid quite a bit for a partially working heating control Radio CD unit.

I'm fully prepared to go to the Dealership if I don't get a straight answer from my mechanic on all these issues. So even though my radio CD work, there are a lot of other elements that don't. Indoor lighting, door lights / sensors, Clock, Key Fob, Block heater. I realize electrical work can be tricky to diagnose and expensive. I have checked most obvious fuses and they all seem fine. Any light shed on this issue would help me, and i'm concerned at what type of approach i should take at the dealer if i do take that route.

Already have appointment booked to go back to mechanic and like i said if he can't resolve all these issues i'll be going to the dealership. Just seeking a bit of knowledge if possible. Thanks !

If the headunit presets do not save, then the Battery(+) headunit wire (it is used to keep memorized settings) is connected to ACC wiring harness. If many units do not illuminate then most probably something is wrong with illumination curcuit of the car. Have you checked voltage of illumination fuse? If it has, then I would start from clock unit, take the wiring diagrams and check is there is a voltage coming to it. If not, then start looking where it stops. Perhaps something is wrong with the fusebox.

Archived