LegacyGT.com

Slow rape of new Civic turbo...

title aka "my childish moment on the highway":redface:

A) Let me preface this with things I hate....

- People who drive in the left lane slowly until you get fed up and perform an "illegal" passing maneuver on the right who then decide to speed up.

- People who, once passed, decide to speed insanely to prove some point.

B) I do not condone my behavior, racing should be kept on the track. Person just peeved me with his stupid attempted ricer flyby.

So I'm cruising in the left lane on my commute to work when there were a few slower cars in the left lane. No biggie, I adjust my speed and wait for the politeness of humanity to take over. Person in Civic politely moves over. Everything is good. Civic gets back behind me and we cruise for about another mile until we hit another patch of slow cars in left lane with no one in front of them. Politeness of humanity fails, so I downshift and get around said person. I stay in the right lane as there is no traffic ahead and reset cruise. About 1/2 mile later (cause I guess the Civic driver stayed behind slow driver), Civic comes flying up in my rear-view (doing at least 100). For whatever reason, this annoyed me so I drop from 6th to 5th (should've gone 4th) and wait for person to get door-to-door then floor it. Civic passed me a little bit due to velocity and the fact I did not drop to boost. Boost kicks in and I stay right on him (gotta hand it to those new Civics, they hang tough!). Eventually they run out of gearing or power and I creep right on past and gain about a 1/4 mile on them when I say OK enough and shut it down. In typical Civic owner fashion, they continue to fly-by as if to say "I wasn't racing you" :rolleyes:

This was on a mostly deserted interstate highway at 6:30am. Let's just say highly illegal speeds were reached :lol: Wouldn'tve even been a remote contest if I wasn't on the OTS AP economy tune (plug gap issues, no garage to fix)

Gotta hand it to these cars, they really have some loooong gearing in the top end!

did that a few times when I had my Acura CL type S except it had mods giving it slightly over 300hp...

downside? 5AT was made out of glass lol and the change from 3rd (123mph max) to 4th tool the acceleration right out of the car

best one was sitting light to light and the guy in a civic was trying to impress his G/F he would gun it and take off fast so I waited until the last light before the FWY entrance and then I showed him what was up....

another time I was sitting at the light waiting to turn left at a double left turn lane and a dude in a BMW 330 tried to beat me down to where it was 1 lane... the look on his face when all he saw was taillights....

Wouldn'tve even been a remote contest if I wasn't on the OTS AP economy tune (plug gap issues, no garage to fix)

Economy tune :eek: Does that actually help fuel economy?

I normally drop to 3rd on highway for full acceleration pass on the highway unless I was doing over 80mph. It probably better for your engine to at least be in 4th gear than 5th. WOT in 5th and 6th gears can cause low rpm, high boost issues which stress the engine more than higher rpm. Our engine make higher boost at low RPM vs high RPM where the boost is tapered, plus the dwell time (slower rpm) puts more stress on the lower of the engine especially if their is a detonation event.

Same. I typically shift higher than usual when doing a zipper merge on the highway on ramp just in case... Because it seems like half the time there's a kid in a civic who wants to buck the system of everyone nicely taking turns. Turns out my car is pretty responsive at 4k rpm in second :lol:

Economy tune :eek: Does that actually help fuel economy?

I normally drop to 3rd on highway for full acceleration pass on the highway unless I was doing over 80mph. It probably better for your engine to at least be in 4th gear than 5th. WOT in 5th and 6th gears can cause low rpm, high boost issues which stress the engine more than higher rpm. Our engine make higher boost at low RPM vs high RPM where the boost is tapered, plus the dwell time (slower rpm) puts more stress on the lower of the engine especially if their is a detonation event.

Re:Fuel tune...It certainly smoothed out the engine and definitely increased power. I'm relatively sure (though I have no empirical evidence) that my fuel economy did get better than stock too. We have 93 in MI and good lord the misfire on boost was terrible when on the stage 1 OTS 93 tune. I know it's just plug gap as I've dealt with that before in my other turbo cars.

Re: WOT...yeah I know all of that, except that at 6:30am my mind didn't even think to go there. My normal commute = totally mindless highway cruise for 60+ minutes.:lol:

Same. I typically shift higher than usual when doing a zipper merge on the highway on ramp just in case... Because it seems like half the time there's a kid in a civic who wants to buck the system of everyone nicely taking turns. Turns out my car is pretty responsive at 4k rpm in second :lol:

I tell you what, though...them new Civics are dangerous. This thing seemed stock (could've had a tune as well) and it took about a mile to overtake it. I admittedly was not expecting that.:eek: Let's just say that by the time I got door to door, the needle was about perpendicular to the ground on the right side of the speedo guage.

- People who drive in the left lane slowly until you get fed up and perform an "illegal" passing maneuver on the right who then decide to speed up.

- People who, once passed, decide to speed insanely to prove some point.

Welcome to my everyday commute.

Archived