LegacyGT.com

2008 5EAT questions

so im having some issues with my 5eat. having some hard shifts for 2-3 and had it not shift at all once on a semi hard pull for 4-5. had it diagnosed at the dealer and they are suggesting the valve body is bad and found resistance in it. cant afford to have the car down for a full trans rebuild so my questions are this, 1 can i just run a replaced valve body for a while until summer when i get my bmw back in driveable condition. 2 does anyone have one for sale? i dont feel like spending 800 for dealer part and im not seeing any on ebay available. thanks for any insight

I can't recall but I believe the 2007-2009 valve body is different than the 2005-2006. Or maybe its 2008 & 2009 versus 2005-2007...

If the fluid is clean, was it recently flushed and now you're experiencing problems?

You can throw it in there, but I don't think I have ever heard of the valve body being the thing to fail first.

Weird - I have never heard of a valve body being the cause of failure either. My 2-3 mild bucking was cured by a TCU Update/Relearn. I took it into the dealer and inquired about a TCU update and they confirmed it was available. Charged me 35$ or so to do it. This thread has a link that hints at what is done...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/software-update-your-transmission-247783.html

Shift harshness is typically caused by failing clutch packs, not the valve body. The TCU will throw codes if you have any actual valve body issues.

A relearn is your best bet for now. No more pulls, or boost period, until you can have it down for a rebuild. If you have a OpenPort, I'd suggest going in and disabling boost control (zero out the max WGDC tables) to minimize any temptation.

did get TCU codes for the trans (main reason i had it checked) ill definitely take it to get a trans relearn. i personally never had the trans flushed or fluid changed but the PO may have. the 2-3 harshness was there since ive owned the car but the 4-5 no shift was the 1st its ever happened and threw the codes. been easy on the car except to pass and keeping it at stock boost. i know 08 and 09 have different valve bodies than all the others

did get TCU codes for the trans (main reason i had it checked) ill definitely take it to get a trans relearn. i personally never had the trans flushed or fluid changed but the PO may have. the 2-3 harshness was there since ive owned the car but the 4-5 no shift was the 1st its ever happened and threw the codes. been easy on the car except to pass and keeping it at stock boost. i know 08 and 09 have different valve bodies than all the others

You'll likely have both issues then.

Any '08-'09 Legacy GT, Outback XT, or 3.0r valve body will work. It also looks like '08-'09 Tribeca VB's are comparable.

You'll likely have both issues then.

Any '08-'09 Legacy GT, Outback XT, or 3.0r valve body will work. It also looks like '08-'09 Tribeca VB's are comparable.

alright. do you know the trans code by chance? just so i can look up part numbers and such

Archived