LegacyGT.com

Front strut question...

So, finally after 162k miles of use, my superbly worn stock suspension has had enough. I bought new struts, mounts, and newer springs.. however when I put the spring on the strut and mount on top there is something missing.... can someone steer me in the direction so I can also obtain this part..?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the upper spring seat, conical spacer, dust cover, bumper? You should be able to reuse any of those from your old setup.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-GT-Limited-Sedan-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD/_54106_6025245/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/B13-210-01.html

The upper spring seat. Never seen one of those before. Any known issues?

i reused mine, if its rusted you can hit it with a wire brush and paint it with black paint if you wish. You will need a spring compressor, you can borrow one from auto zone, an allen key and an offset wrench to tighten/loosen the top nut. Make sure that the spring ends fit at the propper points in the strut and top spring seat. There is a lot of energy in the springs so dont over compress and dont put your body infront of the spring. You can also get a shop to assemble it for probably 20 to 40 dollars each.

Just a heads up, assembling & disassembling coilovers is arguably the most dangerous task in mechanicking, so if you're not confident in your wrenching skills, this is a great job to outsource.
I've been doing this for about 23 years. This is my first Subaru. The shops I worked at before I started towing didn't work on many of them. I've never seen this setup before. I've done struts "backyard" style... lol. I was just a little confused when I saw that upper spring seat..

• 3 weeks later...
The hardest part with the front suspension is getting the top spring seat to line up while the spring is compressed... some of the portable spring compressors don't have enough travel and you can set the top spring seat right in the beveled part of the strut where its supposed to go. Also, make sure the conical washer is on the right way or your strut bearing/tophat will not turn freely.

Archived