LegacyGT.com

Throttle or tranny problem

So I have an issue with my 99 2.2 auto. When I'm driving on the freeway I can't seem to keep a stable speed. I only accelerate if I have my foot on the gas and barely on the gas. When I take my foot off the gas and re apply it slightly the car tugs and I start to accelerate. I am BARELY putting my foot into the gas pedal.

I don't think it's my tranny because it shifts fine. This problem is only in third gear and up. So over 35 mph. My gas pedal is very stiff. I took a pic of the TPS to show you where it is postitioned.

Thanks everybody

20180126_161231.thumb.jpg.385a7f9a39bcc3b3972a8b049d490e63.jpg

How old are the plugs?

Honestly I don't know. I just bought this car about 5 days ago. A total lemon. I test drove it in a residential neighborhood and didn't notice it until I had to drive to work(.ie on the freeway)

And the dude told me the title was clean until I picked up the title yesterday. Got home and it is a rebuilt title. He is being a jerk about it. I told him I want my money back. No luck so far.

It sounds like maybe the throttle position sensor has moved or isn't working right, you get about a 1/4in of rotation out of the TPS which is how you adjust it, so it sounds like its reading the throttle as partly open when it's not

That is what my guess would be. Driving it is like driving a car that has overdrive but you keep it out of over drive. It idles bounce from 800 - 600 warmed up

TPS looks fine how it's mounted. Try this:

1.) Disconnect your throttle cable and the cruise control cable from the throttle body.

2.) Move the linkage manually by hand with the car off. Can you go WOT?

If you can go wide open throttle, you have binding in either the cruise control cable or the throttle cable. Test both and replace defective cable.

If you cannot go WOT, do not force it. You'll break the inner linkage on the butterfly valve. Carefully remove the TPS. Inspect the TPS for proper movement. If it is hard to rotate it, replace the TPS.

3.) After performing the previous steps, start the car and manually rev the engine. Does the engine bog?

If it bogs, shut down the car and check the EGR valve and Back Pressure Transducer (the black disc on top of the EGR).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery/502/medium/97_EGR_System.jpg

Make sure the EGR can open without too much force. If it cannot, try cleaning the valve. If the EGR opens and closes without issue, you may have a EGR BPT issue. 99 or 2000 was the last year for EGR, i believe, and it the BPTs are notorious for going out.

Archived