LegacyGT.com

My new 2011 Legacy GT Wagon & IAM Always Resets?

Hi Guys,

First post. I've been a Subaru owner for 10 years but previously with a 2000 Outback (JDM Lancaster) 2.5 NA. I enjoyed it for what it was, a great car but being an NA 4AT I never really got interested in performance or measuring anything out of the ECU.

About a week ago I picked up our 'new' 2011 Legacy GT Wagon. Wow this machine is incredible.

It's an imported JDM (as most cars are down here in NZ) with ~33,000 Kilometres on the clock.

A few pics here if you're interested:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KMD5XmVSZL7clXMTSuPAsLbZkYWAAqCf?usp=sharing

I quickly got up and running with BtSsm (after some great support btw).

I'm not exactly what you'd call a 'car nut' and not very knowledgeable but just learning as I go.

I have one question to start with - when I read the learned values from the ECU it always shows IAM 0.7 just after I start the car but climbs to 1.0 within a few minutes of driving. I was under the impression that LVs were persisted in the ECU and required an ECU reset to clear?

Cheer,

Rhys

I have one question to start with - when I read the learned values from the ECU it always shows IAM 0.7 just after I start the car but climbs to 1.0 within a few minutes of driving. I was under the impression that LVs were persisted in the ECU and required an ECU reset to clear?

FWIW, I'm not expert but it is my understanding that all stock tunes on the 5th Gens reset the IAM every time the car turns off. You can turn this off with a tune either using Cobb AccessPort or Opensource (of course, if there is a ECU def for your car).

When I wanted an open source definition, the guys on Romraider created one for me, which included the switch turn on/off the IAM reset.

See, e.g., http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11262

Lastly, awesome car, man. Super jealous.

Cheers to a Kiwi! Please also read here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/everything-you-wanted-know-subarus-knock-prevention-strategy-254139.html

As far as I know, IAM (or DAM as CoBB calls it) shouldn't reset on these older Denso ECU based Subarus. On the newer 2015+ Hitachi ones it does and its far more Dynamic than even before.

Having said that perhaps JDM cars or 5th gen LGTs do reset the IAM with each ignition cycle. I have no first hand experience tuning or monitoring these. It would be unique and rather odd though vs what the other boosted models or NA 5th gen engine flavors from this era do.

Given how the stock KCA table is configured and what resultant max total timing you end up with when IAM is 1 vs 0.5 vs say 0.1, youre not really leaving much power on the table... maybe a bit up top but not really at cruise and mild acceleration loads and RPMs or Boost levels.

Once tuned, all bets as to how a high or low IAM impacts total timing are off since you can just as easily disable RC, give KCA enough potential to add or remove very little or very much timing.

Thanks *Perscitus, excellent info. It probably takes about 2 or 3 kms before it comes up to 1.0 so it's pretty quick. I haven't experimented with the SI Drive modes yet to see if that changes anything.

I guess the advantage of retaining the learned values across cycles is that it can start out right away at 1.0 (including any adjustments).

But dose engine temperature change the picture? I.e. Are the LVs for a fully warmed engine still relevant when you start cold the next day?

Yes, the ECU has many compensations based on various temps: coolant temp, intake temp, intake manifold (aircharge) temps.

Unless you reset the ECU (via software, a reflash or brute force - battery pull), LVs are retained and updated as the ECU sees fit and kicks into the various routines that can change learned Fuel and Timing adjustments.

IAM changes and potential resets on ignition cycle would be 100% independent of Fuel learn across all MAF ranges BUT YES, they would also reset Timing learn with each IAM change.

A bit unsafe on a boosted Subaru if there is any knock up top and in boost. Otherwise just BAU, nothing to worry about.

Still, this is the reason I think IAM resets on ignition cycle seem odd, unless timing is conservative... which it typically isnt on stock Subarus. Factory tunes tend to run lean down low, rich up top. Aggresive mid range timing. Somewhat aggresive timing throughout.

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional tables useful for tuning and likely not exposed in COBB definitions for the 5th gen LGTs... see last post from td_d.

Note the ECU limits torque output based on IAT too, per gear. and based on IAM, per gear.

Maximum_Torque_Per_gear_IAM

Requested_Torque_per_gear_A

Requested_Torque_per_gear_B

Maximum_Torque_Per_gear_IAT

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8706

Some additional tables useful for tuning and likely not exposed in COBB definitions for the 5th gen LGTs... see last post from td_d.

Note the ECU limits torque output based on IAT too, per gear. and based on IAM, per gear.

Maximum_Torque_Per_gear_IAM

Requested_Torque_per_gear_A

Requested_Torque_per_gear_B

Maximum_Torque_Per_gear_IAT

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8706

These tables have been holding my tune up. Sucks having such an early car and rom

Archived