LegacyGT.com

Car starting to shut off randomly

So just got the wagon and at first two times only shut off when I had the wheel locked turning, giving no gas. Now with the weather being cold and third time it happened when I was stopped at a light. Today shut off like 4 times all at a stand point, did happen after the gas light came on but I know I have gas. So I’ll just be sitting there and the engine will just go off and all the lights just come on.

Things I know about the car is abs light is on, steering is funky when I get closer to locking the wheels and steering jerks a little but I think I know what’s wrong with that, there’s times where I have the pedal down reving and car doesn’t really move that much, lastly car idles below 1000 rpm.

Really just looking to hear about it shutting off so doing stay too much on what else I said.

In your shoes, I'd look into the abs light and find out what codes you have stored. I wonder if one or more wheel speed sensors, or wheel bearings is bad, causing your issues.

Have you replaced any of the wheel bearings recently, or done anything in that area?

There is a noise when I turn the wheel all the way

That is not really conclusive since it can be either an overpressure relief valve or the belt slipping. Just make sure you have enough fluid for the power steering in the canister.

453747.png

Cold weather and idling issues on a 2005 can be the donut gaskets as well. Gaskets are between manifold and TGV or head. (I can't seem to remember where, but search other threads and you'd find it)

50 degrees out and it shut off on me today, is idles at 500 after warmed up and such.

Was the battery recently disconnected for any length of time?? Also, since you know how to make it shut off...try turning the wheel to the limit with the car in Neutral and see if it still happens. Try to take known shut off scenarios and switch small items up to see if it still happens

Update, don’t believe the steering is the problem. Was trying my best to pay attention to what happens when it shuts off. Got to a light tach went back down to 500rpm and the dash lights came up and the engine was off. Seems when I really break it almost stutters that’s usually when it shuts off. Any suggestions based off that?

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update. Not sure if I mentioned my transmission was shifting off and delayed saw trans oil was low filled it. It leaks but I’ll get to in a couple days, anyways apparently that might have been it, car hasn’t shut off since I filled up the trans.

Archived