LegacyGT.com

Cryptocurrency/Blockchain Discussion and Investment Thread

BarManBean

• Moderators

I figure more than just me and a small handful of members here are likely involved or at least interested in this market by now--time for a thread! I'll leave it open, so feel free to discuss what you'd like. Keep it cordial, and understand that no one here is operating as a financial advisor, so do your own research and only invest money that you can truly afford to lose.

So ask questions, discuss, and hodl :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have some money in a few different coins.

Lots of garbage out there, but at the core, blockchain is a major new technology, and it would be silly not to try to get a piece of it.

Last weekend I was explaining blockchain a bit to my gf - she works in healthcare administration - and telling her it's only a matter of time until she starts hearing about it at work, so best to be ahead of the curve. On Wednesday she got an email about this year's HIMSS (Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society) conference. One of the keynote speakers is presenting on blockchain.

My portfolio crashed several days ago, like everyone else's, but it's already recovered and back up slightly. Not back up to +40-50% like it was a couple weeks ago, but I'm confident it'll get back up there.

I see a lot of potential in Stellar Lumens, Icon, Iota, VeChain, Ripple, and Raiblocks. I see those more as sort of "start up" level. Then I see Litecoin, Ethereum, Monero, and of course Bitcoin as sort of core, established coins.

• Moderators

The recent "crash" mirrors every crypto-January for the last several years. It looks/feels (looked/felt) a bit worse because of the massive hype and momentum that the market had that pushed it beyond where it was naturally going to go for just a bit. So technically bitcoin hit 19k or whatever, but in all reality it firmly got up to 16ish and has now crashed back down to what seems to be the 12k support level. Will see if it stays there or if it dips again.

The whole market is speculative, so who the hell knows. I'm not sure if cryptocurrency will stick around quite like it is now, but blockchain tech is definitely here to stay.

I haven't gotten into lumens or ripple, currently looking at Raiblocks for sure. I'm with you on Iota and VeChain tho and have stakes in both of those. Monero seems here to stay as a privacy coin, but seems that there's good argument that there are better offerings in that sector--I haven't had time to research it yet.

I'm into HST, a blockchain voting application that I think is worth looking at, along with Elixir that I think is worth a look at as well.

With privacy coins I think the big indicator there is adoption among the modern "silk road" websites, and Monero seems to be pretty well entrenched in that space now. Might see bigger % gains in other newer privacy coins, but I think Monero is a pretty solid bet for stable growth.

• Moderators
With privacy coins I think the big indicator there is adoption among the modern "silk road" websites, and Monero seems to be pretty well entrenched in that space now. Might see bigger % gains in other newer privacy coins, but I think Monero is a pretty solid bet for stable growth.

Agree.

• Moderators
It's too late to get involved. Should have done it 10 years ago. Now it's quite risky considering that some governments considers banning cryptocurrencies.

No doubt whatsoever that there is high risk here, but I don't agree. Is it too late to get in for pennies and become a crypto-millionaire? Probably, unless you get lucky. Is it too late to invest in strong dev teams that have a solid white paper, well defined roadmap, and are aiming to solve a real problem that exists in today's industry? No way.

But absolutely a risky market. Rule #1 is seriously to not invest what you TRULY cannot afford to lose. If you can't sleep at night because you are invested in crypto, time to pull out of the market.

Years ago a friend and I built 2 mining rigs with 8 video cards that we mined coin with. Back when you could still mine bit with standard computer parts and 1000watt power supplies powering them. Now the difficulty made mining with those rigs vs electricity cost inefficient. There are a few dedicated mining rigs for sale that use far less power. Played the market for a while. Got out when bit was around 300 a coin. I would be on a yacht right now if I had all my coin when it hit 20,000

Hindsight is always 20/20. I heard about Bitcoin pretty much right when it launched. I remember looking into it and thinking about trying some day trading back when it was still in the sub $1 range. Didn't do anything at the time, and even if I did buy in at the time, it's hard to say I would've held on this long.

We're still early in the technology though, and blockchain is the next big technology after the internet.

Institutional investors have just started investing in this space. Have yet to see any widespread investment by the general public. So there is still a ton of room for growth as more money pours in.

I think it's similar to the dot com bubble days. A lot of these coins that are out there won't last, but the ones that do will be huge.

Like bmb said, probably too late to become a millionaire off of a small investment, but not too late to make huge gains and retire many years earlier than otherwise planned, that's what I'm shooting for with my crypto investments.

I've done "OK", but I'm a conservative investor who only put in what I could afford to lose completely. What I did put in, I'm sitting at about 230% above initial investment. I have ETH, XRP, ICX, XZC, and XVG. I was much higher before the January crash, but who wasn't? LOL. I only invested "play" money, which was intended for car projects originally. I'll probably continue to add a little extra cash here and there into it just for fun, but I won't "bet the house" or anything.

Bulk of profits are because I bought into ETH when it was at $300/coin and XRP when it was at $0.23. I'm under a bit on XVG, and doing "OK" on ICX and XZC.

^^ICX just launched its mainnet and saw a nice upshot but it stopped really quickly and fell right back down. Bummer.

Yeah, luckily I bought in after it fell back down, LOL. So I'm sitting at where I bought in currently. I don't have a ton into it, just wanted to put a little in to see what happens.

I invested back when BTC was at about $10,150 in November. I bought 0.01 BTC, including fees, I was in it for $105.54. I sold out $105.54 worth when it hit $19,980 or so about 2 weeks later, then sold out after it crashed to $16,xxx.

All I know is that I made about $70 on the whole thing, which was enough to pay for the dinner after getting engaged. I've watched the markets a bit through the Coinbase app on my phone but haven't bought back in yet.

Oh, I also know lots of baby boomers hate crypto because they can't touch it, but at the same time they pay everything electronically anyway, so it's not like they're touching cash then either. :lol:

A friend's family owned company was hit by one of those bitlocker viruses in April of 2017. They paid the ransom to unlock their files, which cost them about $1,300. For a full coin. Then the value of the coins just skyrocketed as we all know. That would have been a time to get invested, if you weren't invested years ago. I remember back in college in the mid 2000s thinking that people were dumb wasting time mining bitcoins. Man, I wish I got in on that craze when my AC and electric usage was covered by the college (dorm life)... wouldn't have to worry about all the heat from my computer or the power draw.

Archived