LegacyGT.com

What is this?

It's actually ON the throttle body, and there is a second fitting which has presumably also been disconnected. A pair of hoses route coolant through the throttle body to warm it up, particularly in cold weather. Looks like somebody has bypassed that. People do it, no idea why. Having trouble with cold starts? I see a couple of these every winter.

Correct. Meant to say right below the throttle body hose. I don’t believe I’m having cold start issues. I currently live in Alabama, so cold is a restive term (I don’t recall any issues when I lived in Colorado Springs) . I wonder what the point of by passing is?

It's actually ON the throttle body, and there is a second fitting which has presumably also been disconnected. A pair of hoses route coolant through the throttle body to warm it up, particularly in cold weather. Looks like somebody has bypassed that. People do it, no idea why. Having trouble with cold starts? I see a couple of these every winter.

How does this help with cold starts? Unless you have a block heater the coolant will be just as cold as the rest of the engine.

The primary goal is to avoid ice to build up in the throttle body, it won't make much difference with cold starts but the high velocity areas around the butterfly can cause condensation of humidity in the air and ice build up causing the throttle to malfunction.

So if you have winters with high humidity and around the freezing point you really may want to have this connected.

453747.png

Archived