LegacyGT.com

Timing belt tensioner decide to die?

So Saturday morning I fueled up, no noticeable noises. Car sat the rest of the day Saturday, and all day Sunday and Monday. Monday evening I decide to wash the car and I noticed a slight noise when I backed it out of the garage. Drove it to work and noticed a knocking like noise at idle that got slightly louder upon initial acceleration (cars a 5eat). I babied it to work, and home. I get home and pull it into the garage. While still in gear I can hear a slight knocking noise. So I pull the handbrake while in gear and pop the hood. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side. When I put it in neutral it gets noticeably louder. I do notice that it goes away when I get to about 2k rpms. My guess is it is the tensioner since it is louder with no load on the motor and goes away at higher rpms.

I know the timing belt was done around 90k. My accessport doesn't show anything for any cylinder roughness

Here's a video, can anyone help ease my worry before I pull the covers off tomorrow?

I can't say for sure from the video, but yes, the tensioner is a strong candidate. Easy to verify, you don't need to pull anything but the driver side timing cover. Then use a mechanic's stethoscope or a 3' length of hose to make sure the tensioner is where the noise is loudest.

Archived