LegacyGT.com

Clunking noise when I take my foot off the brake pedal

It is probably the caliper is not situated on the pins correctly and will not slide until it is warm. Once you put pressure on the pisons they try to get themselves back in line. Or like i had said before, the calipers have slack in them and slide forward and clunk when they tap the lugs.

It is probably the caliper is not situated on the pins correctly and will not slide until it is warm. Once you put pressure on the pisons they try to get themselves back in line. Or like i had said before, the calipers have slack in them and slide forward and clunk when they tap the lugs.

I really don't think the knock is coming from the brakes; I know what caliper and pad noises sound like. And this, as I've mentioned before, is coming from under or near the dash/firewall, not the front end. Nothing felt in the steering wheel. My car has only 1,800 miles (3,000 km) on it.

We have had this issue in our 2017 Legacy. I watched as my wife replicated the noise and it appeared that the brake pads were frozen to the rotors due to the moisture and cold. It made the noise as the ice broke free.

We know that noise very well. It happens very often in wet, cold weather, as the rotor begins to rotate and the ice lets go. It only happens once and will not repeat every time the brake pedal is released quickly, which is what we're hearing.

I know this doesn't help, but this appears to be a well documented phenomenon going back as far as 2010 with some legacies and outbacks.

A lot of other people have complained about this, but it seems like there is no solution. I even read about nissan's and toyota's having the same issue.

We know that noise very well. It happens very often in wet, cold weather, as the rotor begins to rotate and the ice lets go. It only happens once and will not repeat every time the brake pedal is released quickly, which is what we're hearing.

ahhhh I see now.

Let’s assume this is the issue. Why they can not fix it? And why it only happens with some Subarus, not all of them?

I just want to make sure you understand that even though the noise is also produced with brake pedal released quickly but has nothing to do with it. The problem is with some vehicles, the majority are quiet. In the ones affected, the noise is relatively dimmer is done, and others is loud ( like mine). But it has nothing to do with quick pedal release which usually produce louder pressure release noise around the pedal area. The noise is definelty in the passenger side, around firewall to wheel area. It sounds like a caliper or a brake pedal issue, or in the brake line travel. The question is why they can not fix it? Why it’s produced only in cold weather? Why it’s only in some vehicles, pretty much all models? I drive a loaner Impreza and all the noise you hear is all normal.

I just want to make sure you understand that even though the noise is also produced with brake pedal released quickly but has nothing to do with it. The problem is with some vehicles, the majority are quiet. In the ones affected, the noise is relatively dimmer is done, and others is loud ( like mine). But it has nothing to do with quick pedal release which usually produce louder pressure release noise around the pedal area. The noise is definelty in the passenger side, around firewall to wheel area. It sounds like a caliper or a brake pedal issue, or in the brake line travel. The question is why they can not fix it? Why it’s produced only in cold weather? Why it’s only in some vehicles, pretty much all models? I drive a loaner Impreza and all the noise you hear is all normal.

Not every part is the same on everey car. Parts have batch numbers. I am not saying it is def one thing, since i do not own one to test ( mine is an 06).

The fact that it is a clunk in the cold makes it sound like a bushing of some sort. Lower ctrl arm, tranny, or caliper.

It could be a motor mount that is failing to move in sync with the others. It could even be a strut tower bushing that is realigning upon pressure.

The next time i am up in NY/Conn visiting family in the cold months, id love to solve this for the group.

As you can tell, i try to get as much info as i can to diagnose. There is nothing infront of the PS firewall that should do this... But a transmission creating torque that is stopped, yet still under pressure, can project a thump upon breaking or releasing (do to resyncing of tranny gears). If it is a CVT tranny it can be chain slack.

A pry bar and a wheel off when it is cold could go a long way towards fixing this.... Even unbolting a caliper and seeing if the rotor becomes unseated or frozen to the hub can explain a ton. If it is a caliper, the distance the vibration travels up the cvjoint and to the motor may explain a big part of the location.

I found a complaint of a similar noise in a 2017 forester, in carcomplaints.com.

The owner in Toronto, CA, states

When you come to a complete stop, and slowly let off the break pedal, there is a horrible noise coming from the brakes. The best I can describe it, is that it sounds like the brakes have not been changed for 20 years. The car has only 9000KM!

- Nicholas B., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I found a complaint of a similar noise in a 2017 forester, in carcomplaints.com.

The owner in Toronto, CA, states

When you come to a complete stop, and slowly let off the break pedal, there is a horrible noise coming from the brakes. The best I can describe it, is that it sounds like the brakes have not been changed for 20 years. The car has only 9000KM!

- Nicholas B., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks, but our noise is only heard when we release the brake pedal quickly. And I'm convinced it's not coming from the brakes themselves. Maybe a rubber pedal stop that gets harder in the cold.

• 3 weeks later...
So, the fifth time I took my vehicle back to the dealership they kept it in the shop for 9 days. The technician was able to hear it. Specially when the vehicle was parked outside in their lot, overnight, in below freezing temps. I’m not sure what they did, they said they replaced both control arms. Why? Not sure. At first the noise wasn’t there when I got my vehicle back, now I’m able to produce it at will in a different manner. Not when I come to a stop, brake then take my foot off the pedal, but when I’m driving at very low speed (5mph) and gentely tap the brake pedal and I hear the very same noise, clunking on passenger side behind bd the firewall. I’m still not sure why they replaced the control arms. The vehicle was fine, with the exception of that annoyance ng clunking when you take your foot off the brake after coming to a full stop. I now have a vehicle with 6k, a sponger brake pedal, a noise from the brakes, tons of red brake quiet stuff and replaced control arms. They definitely did something to the brake pedal because it’s soft with a slow response.

We had a few days with temps above freezing and the clunk went away completely. Came back when the temps fell well below freezing (-18C or 0F) again. At this point having read what they did to your car, I'm thinking I won't take mine to the dealer. For a problem that's obviously coming from inside the car, most likely the brake pedal lever, (I'm thinking a rubber stop bumper that gets hard at low temperatures) they don't seem to be able to resist pulling the brakes and suspension apart. Not on my car... I can live with this small annoyance in cold temperatures.

Lower control arms come with a new ball joint and bushings, so they probably just wanted to eliminate all those possibilities with new lower control arms. It's faster to just swap the arms than to press out the bushings and remove the ball joint.

It's not a subaru in the video, but control arm movement when braking

They might have thought that the pads were sticking to the caliper pistons, or something like that, so that might have been why they put brake quiet on the pads.

The ctrl arm rep was the fact that they do not know what is going on.

I still think it is something having to do with the lack of caliper give while it is cold. The only things in that area are a motor mount, K frame, cv joint to pass tire and the You might be hearing a caliper, but you could be getting slack out of either drive shaft (you can check this by getting the car jacked up on the right side and rocking the tire back and forth to see if it makes a thump)

Archived