LegacyGT.com

Timing belt jump help!

Hey guys I have a car That had a fully rebuilt ej257 about 13,000 miles ago and has been running fantastic. One cold morning a week ago I went to start the car and it ran for about five seconds and then died. The car would not start again and after two days of investigation it look like the timing belt had slipped on the driver side intake by about three teeth.

I ordered a new belt and tensioner and installed it last Friday. It started up right away but I only ran it for about 30 seconds. The next day I started it and it ran for 30 more seconds idling and then shut off again. Thinking that the ECU had not learned the Idle yet, I restarted it with a little bit of throttle which caused it to start but after running for about five seconds the belt jumped again and this time it actually broke the timing belt cover. :confused:

Since then I’ve tried putting the timing belt on eight more times! Each time I put it on everything is lined up but is soon as I pull the pin and rotate the engine twice it looks like the driver side intake and exhaust cams off about the tooth. i’ve even counted the teeth three of the times painstakingly and it just doesn’t want to line up. It almost looks like I need to have 52 teeth between the crank and driver side intake cam instead of the recommended 51.

Every Time I try to install the belt and start the car it won’t start.

I’ve checked fuel pressure (aftermarket fpr with gauge) and checked all my fuses twice.

Additionally, my battery light and parking brake light are on. Had the alternator off and checked at the store and it’s fine.

Please any input! It’s been a very rough new year.

This is an interference engine. Almost surely the valves got bent when the timing belt jumped (happened to me).

It's rebuild time, sorry.

check out this video and jump to 18:50 to see what I am referring to. Now, in this video, IIRC this issue occurred because whoever built that engine overtorqued the camshaft caps or something.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4zJ-7s4Mik&t=1850s]Engine teardown of 2015+ WRX STI and inspection #boostaholics - YouTube[/ame]

It’s a 5spd.

I’m not ruling out a rebuild and I will do compression test later but anyone have any idea why the timing marks won’t line up? Or why it won’t start?

Do a leakdown. Bent valve = 100% leak = no start.

Wait, how long have you been taking to compress the tensioner? They are super sensitive to doing it really, really slow (minutes). If you do it fast, then it doesn't work right any more. If it isn't keeping tight, I would suspect the tensioner may have failed you...

Well after spending some time looking it over, the drivers intake cam is significantly harder to turn compared to the other three... I’ve never had to turn it because I always setup the timing marks before removing the belt. This explains why the belt is slipping there. I guess it’s time for it to come out again :(

• 3 weeks later...

Update for future reference:

Pulled the engine and did leak down test, driver’s cylinders leaking bad so the valves were indeed crashed. Pulled the head and the forged pistons are fine. *whew*

What happened is I unfortunately put the cam cap on backwards.. it only took 2 years and one cold morning to realize that. The head / cam is ruined so time to get a used head.

The intake cam gear alignment pin hole was destroyed just like in the video as well.

Morale of story is don’t assemble your first Subaru engine at midnight after work every day using a flashlight!!!

Archived