LegacyGT.com

Is anyone running a +20 offset or less?

sr20122s

I've dug through so many threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Anyone running +20 offset or LESS?

If so, post up a pic with specific specs and let me know what fender mods you had to do.

Wheel brand:

Wheel Size:

Offset:

Fender Mods:

Thanks!!

Offset alone is not really going to help you as a +20 or less offset on a 7inch wide wheel is going to fit very differently from a 9inch wide wheel with the same offset

Let's hope this is the most useless reply I get.

Considering it's actually pretty relevant, I'd hope so- a +20 offset on a 7" wheel is going to give you as much poke as +45 on a 9" wheel.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7&offset=20&width2=225&aspect2=45&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=9&offset2=20

If your username is cww516 and you have a +20 on a 7” wheel feel free to post it so we can all see how bad it looks.

If you have a +45 on a 9” wheel then you are over +20 and I’m not looking for your specs or pictures.

If you have nothing more to contribute than your two worthless cents, at least wait for a few more posts haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, I'll let it ride.

OP, my two cents truly would be worthless, considering my summer wheel/tire setup wouldn't fit a 4th-gen Legacy / 3rd-gen Outback without some serious fender modification (if the tires cleared the spring perches), but it's a relatively conservative fitment on a 5th-gen Legacy.

My recommendation would be to poke around in this thread and find a fitment you like, see what the specs are on the wheels and tires, and go from there. If you're dead-set on murdering your wheel bearings, you can always use willtheyfit.com to figure out how narrow a wheel you'll need to get to your +20 offset while maintaining the right amount of poke.

Hey man, I'll let it ride.

OP, my two cents truly would be worthless, considering my summer wheel/tire setup wouldn't fit a 4th-gen Legacy / 3rd-gen Outback without some serious fender modification (if the tires cleared the spring perches), but it's a relatively conservative fitment on a 5th-gen Legacy.

My recommendation would be to poke around in this thread and find a fitment you like, see what the specs are on the wheels and tires, and go from there. If you're dead-set on murdering your wheel bearings, you can always use willtheyfit.com to figure out how narrow a wheel you'll need to get to your +20 offset while maintaining the right amount of poke.

Appreciate the insight and I’m glad you didn’t take that as “telling you off” because that wasn’t my intent.

I asked a simple question “is anyone running +20 offset or less?”

I was just looking for a simple answer.

Example: “Yes, I am running a 18x8.75 +19 XXR 550. All 4 corners rolled and pulled. Here is what it looks like on my 2007 Legacy GT”

Potentially making it slightly less time consuming than clicking through 300 pages of comments in a thread.

I also did spend about 5 hours going through old threads before I posted anything. Didn’t find what I was looking for so figured I’d give it a shot posting a new topic.

Clearly didn’t work as expected, so I’ll just got back to lurking.

Appreciate the help.

Appreciate the insight and I’m glad you didn’t take that as “telling you off” because that wasn’t my intent.

I asked a simple question “is anyone running +20 offset or less?”

I was just looking for a simple answer.

Example: “Yes, I am running a 18x8.75 +19 XXR 550. All 4 corners rolled and pulled. Here is what it looks like on my 2007 Legacy GT”

Potentially making it slightly less time consuming than clicking through 300 pages of comments in a thread.

I also did spend about 5 hours going through old threads before I posted anything. Didn’t find what I was looking for so figured I’d give it a shot posting a new topic.

Clearly didn’t work as expected, so I’ll just got back to lurking.

Appreciate the help.

You're probably not going to be able to find a lot searching through the wheel threads here. Might be able to find some examples in the aggressive fitment thread but even still usually most people tend to run a 9 or 9.5 wide wheel with a 38-30 offset. Going off of the example of the wheel specs that you gave, you seem to be going in one of two directions.

1. Wide aggressive wheel specs with stretched tires, rolled and pulled fenders and a lot of negative camber

or

2. Wide aggressive wheel specs with fender flares

Alternatively you can search on google images legacy/outback stance, fitment, hella flush, aggressive fitment, etc and you'll probably be able to find what you're looking for

• 3 weeks later...

Probably asking for trouble here, but I will give it a shot to be helpful. I spent about an hour trying to calculate for myself whether a certain tire and wheel combination would work for my 4G Legacy sedan (2008 Spec B). I have not bought a lot of wheels but for those times that I did for various cars, I have always tried to work out the dimensions on paper instead of trying to look it up online.

So you may find this post interesting or useless, but if the latter, then disregard. Perhaps someone else may find it useful. I do not mean to insult anyone's knowledge regarding this topic, but it seems that people are so used to finding an app or looking for ready answers online that they sometimes avoid the effort to try to figure it out themselves.

The only thing a person really needs to know is the conversion factor of 25.4mm (or 2.54 cm) per inch and any question about wheels ("rims" for us old guys) and/or tires and whether these will fit in a given car can be answered easily. With a little more calculation and knowing your differential gearing, you can figure out the difference in mph calculation as well. For merely figuring out the difference between set A and set B combos, you do not even need to know the gearing since you will know the circumference of your combo.

Offset is nothing more than the distance from the wheel's midline to the hub. This is the metric method. (The US standard is different and I forget how backspacing is done at this time since I never use it so I will just comment on the usual metric calculation.) So, for example, a +48 offset simply means that the hub is 48mm off the centerline in the direction going towards the outside of the car. A +20 would be when the hub is only 20mm form the centerline. It does not take rocket science to see that the lower the offset, the more aggressive the wheel (i.e. further out it will stick), all other things being equal, e.g. the width of the wheel.

As stated earlier, it is hard to comment on how a wheel will look if all you know is the offset. For example, for a stock 7 inch wide wheel with +55 offset, the conversion to mm would be 177.8mm (7in x 25.4mm/in). So centerline would be at the 88.9mm mark. That would mean that a +55 offset would leave only 33.9mm (or ~1.33 inches) from the hub to the edge of the wheel on the outside direction of the car. That would leave 143.9mm (~5.66 in) of rim going form the hub inward toward the wheel well.

You would know that you can go inward at least 5.66 in and not rub the strut. You also know that you have 1.33 inches plus whatever more space you measure is available from the location of the face of the wheel to the fender edge in the stock set up. Thus, you can calculate by measuring how much space you have to spare going towards the strut and how much space you have to spare going outward to figure out your possible combinations.

Of course the tire size may affect this as well, but you can also figure out how wide a tire you can fit depending on how much wider a given size will be beyond the wheel width. As indicated above a 7" wheel is 177.8 mm wide so a 225mm wide tire will extend beyond the wheel width by about 23.6mm (.92") on either side.

I can go on and on, but this is how us old guys try to figure out what size wheel will satisfy the look we are striving for. For the 4G legacy, a 8" rim with +48 offset is pretty good. If you go up to 8.5" rim, an offset of +40 would be close to the edge on the front and close to stock on the backside without rubbing, imo. Of course lowering a car may also affect that spacing.

I have not seen many wheels with +20 offset as that is very aggressive with any size wheel. But applying the calculations described above would easily show how much the wheel would stick out form the hub as well as how far in the wheel well it would rest. For a quick cheater, the following is provided for 7", 8" and 9' rims:

1) 7" rim with 20+ offset means there will be 68.9mm (2.71in) going outward from the hub and 108.9mm (4.29") going back towards the strut.

2) 8" rim with 20+ offset means there will be 81.6mm (3.21") going outward from the hub and 121.6mm (4.79") going back towards the strut.

3) 9" rim with 20+ offset means there will be 94.3mm (3.71") going outward from the hub and 134.3mm (5.29") going back towards the strut.

Again, hope this helps "someone."

Archived