LegacyGT.com

Slipping in 3rd, 4th, 5th at WOT

deimos

Service guy just told me that the pressure plate is fried, he initially mentioned that it was going to cost me, I talked about the clutch sticking and how it had been a demo and his manager should be calling me shortly, well see.

They are also trying to get me to pay for the warped rotors, you know the prob where you get brake shakes from high speed braking...

not sure about the pressure plate, i was told the clutch was burnt, and all was replaced fo free under warranty.

clutch wear is normal, therfore it is covered under warranty. excessive clutch wear due to abuse is abnormal, and is not covered under warranty.

i had 17800 miles, and mine wasn't considered abuse, if you have 27000 miles on it then i wouldn't think that you abused it more than me.. i would think that it should be under warranty.

I got a call from the service manager, he was very courteous which helps. We talked about a few minor issues including the brakes which he said that due to it being over 20000 kms they would likely not cover. I explained the situation, about the clutch sticking incidents, my car being a demo, etc.

He said he would check with SoC to see if there had been any reported pressure plate failures, apparently there have been none, I told him that there had likely been a few reported in the U.S, he said they would have to open it up to see the true cause but wanted my agreement that if it wasnt deemed defective that I will pay.

This is fine, I understand and expect this, my questions to him: How will you determine abuse vs. defect, also how will you determine whether the damage occured during the initial 7300km demo period or during my 20000 kms with the car which he had no real answer for. He mentioned a few potential defects. I guess we'll see what the clutch says.

I dunno how if it isnt a defect that they will determine when the damage happend though.

A week ago they gave me a loaner and said that they would investigate and get back to me. Ends up they are covering the whole thing largely due to the fact that it was a demo. He said if my clutch goes again they wont be able to do anything. Leo was very good to deal with. Needless to say I am relieved and very happy!

Just got the car back. Wow the new clutch is sooooooo much lighter, the old one felt like a brick in comparision, yet they say its the same as the last one. i dont think so....

Maybe they put an 06 clutch/flywheel who knows...anyways happy its done!

Yes, it is lighter at first. Wait a few weeks and it'll be back to feeling like a brick.

Really?...awwww man :(...its so light now, engages quickly, no slip. no stink I guess well see, im gonna try to baby this one a bit more

Are you getting any stinkyness from it ?

Maybe they changed the composition also ?

None yet, and I cant stress how this feels completely different from previous. It is *so* light like night and day and it just grabs without slip, they must have changed something.

Supposedly the part numbers are the same but that really doesnt mean anything they could have made changes and just kept the part #.

• 1 month later...
Are you getting any stinkyness from it ?

Maybe they changed the composition also ?

Update several months in:

Most of the lightness is gone as someone said would happen.

That said the clutch behaves like it should without slipping and it just grabs and goes even with a faster launch, where it would have prevoiously slipped and stunk to all hell.

I have noticed the stink on a few in-traffic occasions but very mildly in comparision with before when it would stink all the time b/c it was slipping often.

Archived