LegacyGT.com

Slipping in 3rd, 4th, 5th at WOT

deimos

Hey all,

In the past few days Ive noticed something new and strange with the LGT (stock, MT, 30k kms).

The clutch engages fine into first and thru to 5th. When in 3rd, 4th or 5th and crusing at say 3k rpmish then going wide-open-throttle the car starts to accelerate normally for say 1k rpm then it seems as if there is a slipping with less power going to the wheels as the rpms climb much faster almost as if free spinning (like when in neutral) then it may reengage not quite sure, I usually let up when I notice it happening.

It is fairly repeatable although it sometimes works more normal with only a little "slip" then continuted acceleration.

I have had the problem with the clutch sticking when launching, trying to merge into an intersection once or twice, followed by an intense burning smell, maybe this is part of the prob.

It sounds somewhat similar to a previous posters clutch/flywheel problem where it had to be replaced, except I engage all gears fine initially but WOT causes the slip.

A friend suggested pehaps it is the centre diff?

Anyways I am having it looked at in more detail next week with the dealer.

Any ideas?

:lol:

Dude, you will not be covered by warranty. Those "launches" did it. I didn't even finish reading the post beyond that point. The good news is you can probably upgrade at this point to something like the 2.5RS flywheel.

:lol: where do these people come from?!

:lol:

Dude, you will not be covered by warranty. Those "launches" did it. I didn't even finish reading the post beyond that point. The good news is you can probably upgrade at this point to something like the 2.5RS flywheel.

:lol: where do these people come from?!

If he is stock, or can go back to stock easily, then he will be covered by SoC warranty. Unless there is reason for the dealer to believe that the clutch has been abused the warranty stands.

Under warranty or aftermarket?

The only reason I bring it up is I had my clutch replaced under warranty for slippage and stink issues and the smell has returned. I have not had slippage but then I've only had the new clutch for about 1,000 miles. I'm just waiting . . .

In my opinion, if you want it done right, you should go aftermarket as SOA has no new part at you will be in need of a new clutch again soon anyhow. Hopefully SOA will step up with new parts soon so we don't have to shell out bucks to fix their mistakes.

Of course if you destroyed your own clutch by your driving style then there is no room for complaint.

If he is stock, or can go back to stock easily, then he will be covered by SoC warranty. Unless there is reason for the dealer to believe that the clutch has been abused the warranty stands.

I am stock, cant say Ive abused the car very much. Sure a few 3-4k rpm slips but thats needed anyways to get up to speed on busy streets. Plus ive been complaining about the clutch since i recieved the car.

I guess my problem is what will be termed "abuse" any burn marks on the clutch? My car was also a demo with 7k on it so who knows what it was treated like before I got it.

It will be interesting to see what the delear says.... icon_neutral.gif

It is possible that your car had a defective pressure plate; a number of other people have had that problem and reported similar symptoms. If the pressure plate is not doing its job properly it can dramatically accelerate cutch wear and cause the symptoms you have described. They also got it repaired under warranty.

Good luck.

I am stock, cant say Ive abused the car very much. Sure a few 3-4k rpm slips but thats needed anyways to get up to speed on busy streets. Plus ive been complaining about the clutch since i recieved the car.

I guess my problem is what will be termed "abuse" any burn marks on the clutch? My car was also a demo with 7k on it so who knows what it was treated like before I got it.

It will be interesting to see what the delear says.... icon_neutral.gif

Ah ... ok, see, I thought you were saying you had done several of these 4K launches. I thought you had beat on it enough to be obviously evident to the dealer. But more importantly, having 7k miles on a demo, you have a stronger case that the clutch wasn't treated so nicely early in it's life. If you have any trouble, I would push this issue with the dealership. Assuming you're having the car serviced at the dealer where you bought it.

And seriously guys ... just because he's stock doesn't mean they'll warranty it. Plenty of clues to look for if the car is being driven excessively hard if it really were an issue of abuse. Just like you wouldn't expect them to cover your car under warranty if you shifted from 4th to 1st instead of 4th to 3rd. Oops!

Driving excessively hard != abuse, unless you don't know how to drive hard correctly.

Driving excessively hard may lead to accelerated wear and tear so as long as you follow the severe driving maintainence schedule, warranty should cover everything.

I keed I keeed

driving hard isn't abuse, but if you add excessive to the phrase, I think that word "excessive" is the point where abuse falls into the equation. There's more than one way to break parts on a car ... it doesn't have to be modded to do damage.

It is possible that your car had a defective pressure plate; a number of other people have had that problem and reported similar symptoms. If the pressure plate is not doing its job properly it can dramatically accelerate cutch wear and cause the symptoms you have described. They also got it repaired under warranty.

Good luck.

I have certainly had the problem with the clutch "sticking" at like 5k rpm and not disengaging maybe twice, these are the only times when there was a real intense burnt smell.

I got the car with 7k kms on it, it now has 27k kms so ive driven the car less than 20000 kms, even with some pretty harsh driving a clutch should last past 20k kms, especially when a manufacturer praises itself and adverstises claimed sub 5.8 sec 0-60s, these numbers certainly arent attained using a gentle 2k rpm slip.

Hopefully the dealership will be cool about this...

Am I the only one to notice the clutch smell after backing up in snow. This GT and my last one a 00' do the same thing. The clutch is weak at best. But I guess it better to have a weak clutch then broken drivetrain parts. At least the weak clutch gives you notice that something is wrong. It's not instant brakage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll make another suggestion.. In Audi land, when the Throttle body boot lets go, symptoms are very similar, at low loads (1st, 2nd gear and light RPM's) the vehicle drives normally.. When loaded at WOT, especially in higher gears, the boost simply escapes to the atmosphere, and the RPMS go up, but your butt dyno does not feel the associated torque you are used to..

I have not had a chance to study the plumbing of this motor as yet.. but perhaps there is a large boost leak under pressure that is occuring?!?!

I'll make another suggestion.. In Audi land, when the Throttle body boot lets go, symptoms are very similar, at low loads (1st, 2nd gear and light RPM's) the vehicle drives normally.. When loaded at WOT, especially in higher gears, the boost simply escapes to the atmosphere, and the RPMS go up, but your butt dyno does not feel the associated torque you are used to..

I have not had a chance to study the plumbing of this motor as yet.. but perhaps there is a large boost leak under pressure that is occuring?!?!

Yeah thats sounds similar, it seems that it is the high boost or torque that causes it, or perhaps a burn on the clutch/flywheel around 5k rpm where that clutch sticking problem occurs (if this is even possible?). and what is strange as well is that the "slipping" and RPM increase happen daily but only some of the time, otherwise while crusing around 3k and going WOT the car will accelerate for 1k then seem to briefly "slip" for a second at 4k rpm then grab and pull.

Ill have it in the shop thurs morning, but I know very well that if they take it out for 5 mins and cant "replicate" it they will just hand it back to me and say all is well. We'll see.

i had the same problem. The clutch is burned and isn't strong enough to hold the plates together= slipping= no acceleration = rpms jump. If you ease off the pedal then the clutch will catch again and the rpms will drop. Hard acceleration puts more stress on the clutch, and it will slip more often. If you accelerate more slowly the problem will be reduced. But once the clutch is slipping like that, it will only get worse, so it will eventually need to be replaced.

Drove on mine for a few hundred miles after i figured out the problem, its was okay, but kinda unsafe when you need to accelerate quickly on the highway and the clutch slips...

I had 17800 miles on it, and a bunch of quick starts with the clutch slipping and burning. I would definatley say that it qualified as abuse. The mechanic warned that the warranty didn't cover it if there were signs of abuse, so i was a little apprehensive, HOWEVER

I took it in and got a new clutch installed UNDER WARRANTY! took one day, easy, no questions asked.

worked out well, the new clutch was very sensitive the first few days, but its loosened a little now, and i've gotten used to it. Definately not driving it as hard now, gonna keep it healthy. Not much stink, probably cause im not burning it as much.

I was thinking about the aftermarket route, but the free clutch sounded better than dropping 1000 bills.

i had the same problem. The clutch is burned and isn't strong enough to hold the plates together= slipping= no acceleration = rpms jump. If you ease off the pedal then the clutch will catch again and the rpms will drop. Hard acceleration puts more stress on the clutch, and it will slip more often. If you accelerate more slowly the problem will be reduced. But once the clutch is slipping like that, it will only get worse, so it will eventually need to be replaced.

Drove on mine for a few hundred miles after i figured out the problem, its was okay, but kinda unsafe when you need to accelerate quickly on the highway and the clutch slips...

I had 17800 miles on it, and a bunch of quick starts with the clutch slipping and burning. I would definatley say that it qualified as abuse. The mechanic

Sounds just like my issue....Im glad to hear you were covered under warranty.

Frankly so they should, unless you are really beating the crap outta your clutch I think even with a few fast starts a clutch should hold up past 15-20k kms.

Right now Im just concerned with the inability to trust acceleration. It is exactly as you describe where if I let off the gas it grabs again. It can get sketchy if it slips when you are trying to get out of the way of something like a big truck.

rakerly you say you abused your clutch, did you ever have the problem that some people have had with the clutch "sticking", where a faster launch is desired but the rpm needle sticks around 5k, the clutch refuses to grab or let go, even with foot off the gas and clutch followed by an intense burning smell (way more than normal slip).

I experienced this twice and am certain that if I have any major clutch damage it happened those times. I am wondering if perhaps the delear replaced your clutch under warranty because you had a defective pressure plate (causing the sticking)? Also you wouldnt have gotten the terrible "clutch-stink" again as that was due to an undercoating on the car that burned off when heated and hopefully they stopped using that sh1t!

yes, i've had that same problem with the quick launches, and it got worse as the clutch got worse.

I figured that it is just the clutch slipping... the clutch is too weak to hold at the higher rpms during the launch and therefore just keeps slipping. During the slipping you start moving, and eventually the clutch will catch and your gear will be fully engaged. I didn't notice this when the car was newer, but as the clutch deteriorated i noticed it a lot more.

I attributed it to the burnt out clutch... the mechanic did not say anything about a defective pressure plate.

Archived