LegacyGT.com

Idle issues after mad install

So I thought I saw something about this but i couldn't seem to find it. Basically car ran fine. Installed the msd coil pack and it the idle started to dip really low when in traffic. I havent tried the old coil back on yet but it didn't start until the msd was installed? I ended up using the beck and arnley harness adapter and wired it up one way which didn't work, and then flipped the outer triggers and the engine ran fine. I didn't notice the crappy idle until i was in traffic.

I was just reading a post about the same idle problem and it ended up being the IACV for stevo but im really hoping that's not my issue and also don't see why it would act up as soon as I put the msd on?

I do have a big exhausts leak being fixed tomorrow but i don't think that would do anything with the idle of the car. Any help?

I'm afraid I would start by swapping the coil back to OE.

You might also try connecting a #10 wire from under a coil mounting bolt to a ground point on the strut tower. Maybe the new coil places enough extra demand on the system that the IACV is working with reduced ability? Might be an easier test than swapping back. But I don't feel it's likely to help.

Actually I installed the MSD coil after the IACV started acting up. It did coincide with the installation of the '95 style air intake tube. You may want to try an ECU reset (or disconnect battery for at least 30 minutes).

So I snagged a 95 intake tube, maf sensor, IACV, and a new air box with actual working clips for 35 bucks while my car was at the exhuast shop. Once I got the car back the idle was normal again. The leak was at the flange before the cat so I'm not sure how that would mess with it but fixed leaks equals no more cel and no more idle issues. I also noticed on this 95 that the vacuum lining for the fuel pressure regulator was way different which means I did mine wrong so i will be doing some vacuum line work pretty soon as well and maybe that will help with the gas mileage as well

Archived