LegacyGT.com

Interioir lighting maybe?

Has anybody every thought of getting some interioir lights? On these newer cars they have this very very didn't sort of glow to them that just makes the car feel a lot more modern and nicer and i think it would be cool if I could somehow do that using that teal color the gauges usually are. I've seen people do those custom aftermarket led stuff but i don't want any of that, it's way too bright for my likings, i would won't something just super subtle but something that I would notice. Any ideas?

I'm also going to copy my buddy's idea to grabbing one of the trunk lights from a wrecking yard and wire it into the engine bay for an engine bay work light

I've thought about both an underhood light and dim modern car interior lights and have searching the junkyards for it whenever I go to them. But all of my interior lights are blue minus the map/dome/trunk lights and when I find them at a junkyard I never know what color they are and would rather not pay for colors I don't want. The newer Dodge/Chrysler vans have a cool one that I'd like to make a custom center roof console for. These are the lights I'm talking about https://www.dodge.com/content/dam/fca-brands/na/dodge/en_us/2017/grand-caravan/gallery/interior/2017-dodge-grandcaravan-gallery-interior-8.jpg.image.1440.jpg

But I also wouldn't be opposed to installing dim lights up by the map lights

But I also have one of the GM/Dodge underhood lights that have the little on/off tumbler switch, but I have yet to install it because I'm reluctant to drill holes and haven't found a clean enough way to route the wires yet.

Right idea on the dodge one but i think a tiny bit big for my likings. Then again when it comes to interioir lighting there's close to 0 options for these cars

Mostly what has me wanting to do this is I've been in multiple BMW, audis, and even the new forester just has these little dim lights that make the interioir kinda super faintly glow in various location such as the map light and the footwells. I think it would be a cool thing to have wired into the rest of your interioir lights

Yeah I know which ones you are referring to, most Cadillac, Lincolns and other "luxury" cars come with them. My favorite junkyard rarely has new enough cars that have the lights but they did have a 2015 Chrysler 200 last time I went and I put power to the lights and they ended up being green :/

I did find a local small yard that deals with insurance write offs, so I'm hoping to have better luck when I go there once it warms up

Honestly looking through that thread I think you gave me a good idea. That definitely looks good man but for the footwells I was thinking something more along the dimmer side. I think when it warms up I'm gonna try and snag an hvac unit and pull it apart like you did and those bulbs have those little teal caps for the tint on them. My plan would be to take a bunch of those lights and keep the caps on them since those will probably be kinda dim which is what if prefer. Make some sort of way to line those bulbs up and wire them in a strip up tucked in the dash so its a dim little glow. Then I'd wire them into the marker option on the steering wheel light stalk so when I turn on my markers and the rest of my gauge lights and everything comes on those would come on for a dim glow in the footwells

Archived