LegacyGT.com

Window tint: film quality

silverfool

Did a search and couldn't find a thread about actual tint films-

I grew up using shops with 3M films and heard they were the best. however, recently i've read favorable things about Llumar. Now the local shop around the corner uses Solargard and is giving a great price. From their website, it looks as if Solargards Nonreflective film is only 5yr warranty whereas Llumar and 3M are limited lifetimes.

As a newbie to this forum, I'd love to hear what other car lovers use on their babies and why.

I got the llumars & always have on my old cars & never had a problem. I think all 3 are pretty much as good as each other
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I went with the 3M over the llumars because the tint shop said the llumars will actually fade in 5-7 years and the 3M won't ever fade because it is made with a type of carbon fiber. They said it is the newest type of 3M film available on the market. It was not much more for the 3M so I did it. Were they just trying to make a sale? I don't know but the film is awesome!!

I went with the 3M over the llumars because the tint shop said the llumars will actually fade in 5-7 years and the 3M won't ever fade because it is made with a type of carbon fiber. They said it is the newest type of 3M film available on the market. It was not much more for the 3M so I did it. Were they just trying to make a sale? I don't know but the film is awesome!!

Ummm ... carbon fiber, or ceramic? Ceramic would likely be true, but carbon fiber sounds like total crap. But no, the Lumar really is highly unlikely to fade.

I went with Formula1. They were the only ones that I found with a true ceramic film. The dyed films have the potential to fade (although the better ones warranty against it) and the metallic ones can interfere with radio/cell phone/nav units. Ceramic should do neither. Tintdude.com has a forum that contains some useful information.

Solargard $160 and Llumar $210. Thats 33% difference...I can't imagine the quality can be that drastic. I imagine that the quality of installers will be more important than the film itself. again why i'd love to get recs for the OC if you got em. however, if any of you guys whom know better feel strongly about the film, I'm willing to defer to my fellow fanatics.

Solargard $160 and Llumar $210. Thats 33% difference...I can't imagine the quality can be that drastic. I imagine that the quality of installers will be more important than the film itself. again why i'd love to get recs for the OC if you got em. however, if any of you guys whom know better feel strongly about the film, I'm willing to defer to my fellow fanatics.

The installers for Solargard near me wanted to charge over $300... it was rediculous. I had my Llumar installed for the same price you mentioned.

I have Madico film on my LGT. Also had it on my 4 previous cars as well...I've never had any trouble with it. They offer a lifetime warranty on their films.

The installer I use does all the work for the Ferrari, Bentley, Maserati, Mercedes dealers in the area so I would say it's pretty good stuff.

Just another option....

Archived