LegacyGT.com

Front axle won't come out

So I'm swaping the trans on my 03 legacy gt and the driver side front axle will not come out of the hub took the axle nut out and banged on it for 10 min and took my air hammer and did nothing not sure if there is some type of pin holding it or something else but I was told by the last owner that it wasn't replaced, so could it be frozen in there?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Go get a puller from local auto store, some of them will rent it to you. Tighten the puller, then hit the drive screw with a hammer. As it loosens, continue to tighten and hit with hammer. It will come out.

Anti-seize the splines of the new axle to prevent it from getting stuck again in the future.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I've had a couple of yankee cars that the axle would absolutely not come out of the hub, even on a hydraulic press.

Threw the whole spindle and axle out. Rust sucks.

waste not = want not

you all don't have a fancy parts washing basin or a big 10 gallon pail?

they make pb blaster in single gallons / 5 gallon pails.

I guess you could have also used some kerosene in a pail too.

512SXM7KNaL._SY450_.jpg

Go get a puller from local auto store, some of them will rent it to you. Tighten the puller, then hit the drive screw with a hammer. As it loosens, continue to tighten and hit with hammer. It will come out.

Anti-seize the splines of the new axle to prevent it from getting stuck again in the future.

Done it and it's just frozen in the hub did almost everything I could and was a waste of $200 for the axle pulled

waste not = want not

you all don't have a fancy parts washing basin or a big 10 gallon pail?

they make pb blaster in single gallons / 5 gallon pails.

I guess you could have also used some kerosene in a pail too.

512SXM7KNaL._SY450_.jpg

nope.

I think you're thinking of your local mechanics who are more accustomed to working on rustbuckets.

I still curse and swear and have scrapped whole cars because of rust. I would make a lousy yankee.

Whenever hammering on the hub - disconnect from the gearbox first so you don't damage the bearing in the gearbox. Broken gearbox bearings sucks, hub bearings aren't a big deal.
There is no trans and the axle was cut in half

Archived