LegacyGT.com

close to 3k miles and this is what I hate.

laz, well I think that's the issue.

The pad material is just not suitable for spirited driving. It gets too hot, starts to deposit sh!t on the rotor, especially when you're stopped at traffic lights when you've got your scorching hot pads resting on the rotors and hotspotting them.

So to mitigate that, I do the following:

- use engine braking more often to shave off speed

- use parking brake at traffic lights to avoid hotspotting

- make sure the pads are hot, trail them a few, when stopping at high highway speeds

Aftermarket brake pads should solve most if not all of the rotor "warpage" issues.

I keed I keeed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hum, so you are saying it is the pads that are to blame, not the rotors? I mean this has happened to a lesser degree since almost new. As soon as I was able to hit 75-80 MPH on the freeway and then had to stop the brakes started to shake, maybe not as bad, but still the shaking. Last night was just the worst. I almost felt like my car was not going to stop.

I use engine braking as much as I can, but not while cruising in the freeway, that be crazy! Plus I rather replace my brake pads more often than the clutch, and I know there are many of you who think that engine braking done properly will not harm the clutch, but I just like to use my brakes dammit! That is what they are made for, and they should work correctly all the time! I mean I had 20K cars in which the brakes worked excellent time after time. Even the Altima that I own has no issues, and I do exactly the same driving with that car.

Anyway, enough venting, I will find a better solution for this problem and report back.

X

---

laz -

It seems, from what most have reported in the past, that what you reported is, as melayout cited, a pad-deposit issues.

Try burning the deposits off and see what happens.

Best of luck! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Nothing really that I hate about it but here you go:

1. Really bad paint

2. Poor brake pads

3. Tires downright scary at 25K+ on somewhat wet twisty roads

4. Noisy wipers on occasion

Otherwise it has been a great a non-eventful (maintenance) car. And yes I do oil changes every 7500 as manual dictates.

oh one more thing.

did you ever slam on the brakes real hard before?

I've done this before to see what happens, just in case I really have to... well anyway

you get this really weird vibration on the brake pedal...

I dunno how to describe it, but it feels like my food went right through the floor... or.. the pedal is grinding on the asphalt or something. like the kind of vibration you get when you rub a rock against the asphalt... something like that.. . well.. I hope you understand my description.

Might be the ABS, or as touched on above, may relate to the original pads leaving deposits on the rotors. Mine graunched from new and developed a shimmy. A light machine of the rotors and upgraded pads, under warranty, have essentially fixed the problem.

Archived