LegacyGT.com

close to 3k miles and this is what I hate.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny...I've probably owned about 50 cars over the course of my life, and I'd place the '05 LGT in the top 5 for performance/value balance. Is it perfect? No. Does it have many of the problems you've described? No. Would I have to spend another $15-$20K to solve most of the minor issues that my car has? Yes.

'nuf said.

1. get on the gas harder and the studdering goes away.

2. I got one around the passenger B pillar.

3. first time driving in the rain, wipers work fine.

4. no fog yet, so can't say how they work.

5. rear wipers work fine on my car. Oh wait I have a wagon.

6. brakes seem fine, better than my last car

7. no clutch to stink with an auto

8. no sound here

9. driver seat lumbar is too low even with the seat all the way down. Passenger seat lumbar is perfect.

10. no smell here

11. read the manual. It's a safety feature. Takes 3 steps to fully open the wagon's moonroof and 3 steps to close.

12. works fine for daily driving

13. standard lights are pretty bright compare with other cars.

1. I don't think so, unfortunately.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I have to agree about the brakes. After owning my car for about the same mileage, there is definite vibration as if the rotors are not completely true when you hit the brakes. I know it is not ABS - I have activated ABS on a few occasions, and the brake feel - it just sucks.

I don't have some many complaints about the car... my top 3 (in order) are:

1) Handling is to wishy washy (I'm in on ION spring group buy #3)

2) Low end torque? How do you spell that? (will install Cobb stage 2 before long)

3) Brakes

The headlamps are surprisingly good for halogen - I swear they're 80% as good as the really nice HID setup I had on my R32. Main lighting deficiency currently is the DRL disable I did rattle - my own darn fault! Have to go in there are secure things better!

Albert

The headlamps are surprisingly good for halogen - I swear they're 80% as good as the really nice HID setup I had on my R32. Main lighting deficiency currently is the DRL disable I did rattle - my own darn fault! Have to go in there are secure things better!

HIDs are overhyped anyway.

i think with the fog lights and the headlights on i get a lot of light. the seat belt chime is annoying but theres a couple of fixes for that... 1. buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt like 10 times.... as for the brakes... i think their pretty damn good. way better then my wrx.

1. the friggin studdering - especially cold days or cold engines

2. there's a rattle in the back that i can't seem to isolate cuz it only happens when I drive over bumps

3. the wipers suck - they leave a huge portion of water unwiped.

4. the fog diffuser sucks

5. there's no rear wiper

6. the brakes are terrible

7. the clutch stinks

8. everytime I turn hard left, there's a squeaking sound

9. the lumbar support thing doesn't support my lower back, but hits an awkward position

10. the vents smell

11. the moonroof stops in the middle when I try to close it

12. the tires are crap

13. no HIDs

and the list goes on..

but hell.. it's better than a civic. I still love my car.

1. I thought there was a problem with MY car only. I could floor the gas on some days and nothing, and Im scared to do so just incase it launches! Why the hell does it do this?!

2. Np

3. They wear out way to fast!

4. No prob with mine.

5. Mine's JDM so again no prob.

6. Not on mine.

7. Automatic

8. Thats the power steering. Get it checked, unless your turning the wheel all the way in which case it's normal.

9. Takes some time to get used to.

10. ???

11. No moonroof here.

12. Mine are at the wear bars at 50,000km.

13. JDM I love my HID's.

Number 1 is a pain in the ass!

moviemadness:

1. Yes, unfortunately, some '05 LGT owners still suffer from the "stuttering/studdering" even when the engine is fully warmed. Have a look in the "Warranty" section of our Forums for the "Studdering" thread, which details a released fix from SoA - an ECU correction. Alternatively, search under the keywords "stutter" or "studder."

Even now, the success of the SoA "fix" seems to be variable.

Using an aftermarket engine-management fix, such as the Cobb AccessPort, has been reported to either temporarily (with recurrences between 300 to 1000 miles noted in some cases) or permanently address this problem. Furthermore, some tuners are now claiming to be able to work around and/or cure this issue with their custom EM maps using either the AccessPort Pro/StreetTuner or ECUTek.

3. Rain-X will take care of the unswept areas.

As for the wipers themselves, this has also been a routine complaint of LGT owners. If you don't mind spending the time, routine cleaning of your windshield wipers will work to a great extent to clear this issue. Alternatively, investing in a set of aftermarket blades, such as thePIAA SuperSilicone, will be well worth the effort and expense for you.

4. Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Fog diffuser?"

5. Welcome to the world of USDM sedans. I, too, hate that this is the case (with my background being hatch-back Import Sport Compacts), but alas, you'd be hard-pressed to find a modern USDM sedan with this feature. Again, Rain-X will help to a tremendous extent, both with AM dew/mist as well as generall rainfall and even with snow.

6. First, as many have pointed out here, correct use of the ABS system will take care of your concerns in this area to a great extent. Even our own Forum suspension/tires/brakes guru, Keefe ("Xenonk") has cited repeatedly that our stock brakes are sufficient and safe for everyday emergencies. The recommendation which I was given, via Keefe and other autocross/road-race veterans, is to get better acquainted with my LGT by thrashing it around a bit under controlled circumstances (even an abandoned parking lot will do) - so that I become more familiar with its performance envelope as well as get a better feel for what the vehicle can do, when pushed to such extremes. This has helped me much in understanding while I may *feel*, subjectively, like my LGT isn't going to stop in-time in panic situations, I can trust that it *will* do so, objectively. Provided, of course, that I'm not driving like an idiot! ;)

However, this is still an area where, undeniably, our LGTs lag behind other sedans of this genre, and is also very much a concern foremost among LGT enthusiasts. Recommendations to help shorten our stopping distances range from the most common upgrades/mods of better/more tire and more aggressive aftermarket brake pads, to using stainless lines to increase pedal feel and even suspension modifications to reduce dive.

7 and 10. Clutch stink and other smells (most commonly cited are coolant, motor-oil, and exhaust fumes; the former from spillage during servicing and the latter from splash onto the exhaust piping during oil-changes, typically from less-than-careful handling of the used filter or the primed new filter - with exhaust fumes, check the up-pipe gaskets as well as the mid-pipe to rear-section "doughnut" gasket) are again well-documented here, and I would encourage you to perform specific searches to see if you can track-down their cause and resolution. With clutch-stink, if this problem does not resolve for you over time, seek to document this with your dealership's service department so that if you do seek warranty repair/replacement you will get covered.

11. Unfortunately, this is a designed-in "safety-feature."

12. The stock RE92s are the source of much complaint from enthusiasts. However, it does one well to be reminded that these tires are not necessarily meant to cater to us, but rather, to satisfy the needs of a much more "average" commuting population with an All-Season tire. Driven conservatively, these tires do offer the benefit of predictable break-away as well as good traction in almost all sorts of weather conditions.

However, driven hard, their restricted performance envelope becomes almost instantly apparent.

To optimize their grip, try playing with your tire pressures.

This is all the more important in the next few months as most of the nation transitions between summer to winter temperatures, and tire pressures bottom-out due to cold weather.

Look at the "Tire/Wheel" sub-Forum, you'll get quite a bit of feedback there regarding tire alternatives for just about any form of driving you choose to do.

13. Although HIDs do provide "better" lighting overall, the LGTs stock incandescents are among the best of the breed. Beam throw and dispersion, as well as cut-off, are superior for projector optics - and truly, there's little more that one can wish for from this system.

Overall, although HIDs do provide more illumination and more even illumination, with sharper cut-offs (with proper optics), than traditional incandescents, whether or not you'll truly see better with such a system has as much to do with your own visual acuity/preferences as it does with the illumination system. Truthfully, our eyes are biologically better-attuned to the yellower end of the color spectrum than the "stark white" that HIDs produce, but due to the more even illumination and generally, the more light thrown by superior HID systems, the latter often edge-out when compared head-to-head.

Certainly, spending $300 to $500 for either a set of plug-and-play HID ballast-and-bulbs to a true, proper, full-optics HID-retrofit (and honestly, the cost of the latter may not be much more than the cost of "improper" plug-and-plays") can be worth the investment both in terms of time and expense, but unless you truly feel VERY strongly on this matter, and unless you prefer the 4300 to 4600 Kelvin color temperature (i.e. "stark white") night-time illumination, there truly is no absolute need to worry about an upgrade in this area, given the superior performance of our incandescents.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

;)

Hey, we've all gotta vent somewhere, and there's always gotta be someone to share your pains with. :)

Just glad to help. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ :) Exactly - we take the good with the bad. Our vehicles - beloved though they may be - are still just machines. :)

hmm. you seem to be sensitive about an issue that I have never discussed.

I never said I hate subarus

I never said I hate this car

unless I've said something that offended you personally, I don't see what the problem is..?

if you ARE offended about what I post, and if you ARE sensitive to subjects that I present, then there's no reason for you to be entering MY posts or bother to be offended by MY entries. I never FORCED you to read any of this.

moviemadness -

Who are you addressing your posts to?

I have to agree with the front brakes being really bad. I am almost at 3K miles as well, and last night while doing some spirited driving my brakes started to shake so much that it felt like the front end was going to fall off! What is up with these rotors? Is it their size that makes them so much more prone to warping? I have a feeling that the resurfacing done by the dealership will only fix it for the short term, I am already looking at upgrading the rotors for something hopefully better.

The brakes may be good in day to day driving, but try slowing down a couple of times in a row from 75-80 MPH and you'll see what I mean.

X

---

Archived