LegacyGT.com

Sudden fuel mileage decrease

I don't have the exact engine temp reading on my head unit so...

Mine takes about 2-3 miles before the automatic heat starts to flow into the cabin.

It takes about 6 miles more before it's up to full operating temperature.

"cold blooded" for sure, even with those active grille shutters that close. I shiver to think what it would be like without them.

If a thermostat is stuck open, it depends how far open it is stuck. It's not a switch that is either open or closed. They slowly open and close based on temp.

But if it is mostly open, if you are driving on the highway @20F, the temp gauge may never actually rise at all.

Another way to tell:

drive on the highway and get the engine as hot as possible. If the gauge never rises to the middle/normal range, that's an indicator.

When you come to a stop with the engine running, you should actually see the gauge rise. (because you don't have the air flow across the radiator)

Again, this all depends on how far open the thermostat is.

Also realize that the thermostat in modern cars is a dummy, it's in the center all the time when the temp is normal, when it goes over to the high side it's invariably "too hot" already. That's caused by a stupid decision based on people complaining that the temperature gauge is varying depending on the engine load and outside temperature.
453747.png

according to the pictures of the thermostat it is closed when cold... until it warms enough to open..

https://parts.subaru.com/images/uploads/SimplePart%20-%20Subaru/fullsize/a_20160809_1506270261.png

if that is not properly closed when the car warms up, it may delay warming of the car or it will not happen at all. These are designed to fail in the OPEN position

• 1 month later...

SOLVED - mileage had continued to be poor on my daily commute, but it's also been very cold much of the time, so I'd been chalking it up to long warm-up times and traffic in snowy weather.

Took my son back to school over the weekend - same trip as in the OP. Mileage was in the mid-20s again. Unacceptable. When I arrived at the turn-around point I grabbed a can of Sea Foam and dumped it in the tank when I filled up, thinking maybe something had gummed up the injectors. After about 20 miles on the road, the mileage began to climb, and I averaged 34.8 on the 300 mile trip home. Regular in-town driving with some local highways since arriving at home has continued at about 34.

Archived