LegacyGT.com

Turbo/Boost Issue...maybe more.

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the Subaru game, as this 2008 Subaru Legacy GT is my first turbo car.

Please go check out my video today on YouTube:

as I discuss the problems I am having with sputtering/hesitation and a boost leak. I know the basics of these cars, but have a lot to learn and have read up plenty on the forums and countless threads to issues like this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

My answer will be this is the nature of our early boxer engine. The exhaust gas from the cylinder 2 and 4 travel longer route to the passenger side of the engine. If you floor the gas pedal, the delay is caused by the longer travel route to create the pressure to boost the engine.

That is why the newer age subaru placed their turbo right center underneath the engine to avoid the issue. Plus equal length header helps to create more power but lose the signature rumble sound.

If you think about how these air travel from the intake to exhaust out, you might find out the turbo thing on our engine is kinda an after-thought. But I really like my rumble boxer sound so I can live with the delay.

Post a data log with your fuel trims and that can help diagnose a boost or vacuum leak.

Also, I know you’re trying to promote your YouTube channel and all that but it’d be a lot easier for us to help you with this if you described it in words. IE: when did this start happening, what you’ve tried so far, what mods are on the car, when specifically do you hear the sputtering noise and from what general location, etc.

2008 Subaru Legacy GT 166k on body, ~70K New Engine Replaced by Subaru

Cobb SF Intake, Stage 1 93 Cobb Map, that's all.

recently bought the car, wasn't bad, but hard accelerations were never perfectly smooth. Intake and tune, didn't cause the problem, just amplified it, sputter/hesitation under WOT and full boost. Also sometimes I can hit 15lbs of boost, while others (captured by my accessport) I would have a hard time getting past or holding up to 8lbs...

tried looking for any vacuum leaks with the soapy spray test, couldn't really find anything, ordered a new upgraded turbo inlet, intercooler gasket and BOV gasket, as the turbo inlet could possibly be deteriorating at the clamp (end) going onto the face or shroud of the turbo. hoping that helps!

any input is much appreciated! Thanks

2008 Subaru Legacy GT 166k on body, ~70K New Engine Replaced by Subaru

Cobb SF Intake, Stage 1 93 Cobb Map, that's all.

recently bought the car, wasn't bad, but hard accelerations were never perfectly smooth. Intake and tune, didn't cause the problem, just amplified it, sputter/hesitation under WOT and full boost. Also sometimes I can hit 15lbs of boost, while others (captured by my accessport) I would have a hard time getting past or holding up to 8lbs...

tried looking for any vacuum leaks with the soapy spray test, couldn't really find anything, ordered a new upgraded turbo inlet, intercooler gasket and BOV gasket, as the turbo inlet could possibly be deteriorating at the clamp (end) going onto the face or shroud of the turbo. hoping that helps!

any input is much appreciated! Thanks

Any abnormal noises during boost? I had my throttle body hose fall off countless times and it sounded like a baby elephant under the hood.

Pull of the intercooler, inspect under and over it if any of the teeth have been unclamped, this is a common source of failure for LGTs. Check the throttle body hose as well, the little end caps on each end usually flip out and thus start leaking.

While its off, check the T-fitting underneath the intercooler if has disconnected on any of the 3 ends.

Lastly check under the car, pull off the heat shroud covering the exhaust manifold and up pipe, check for any leaks on those gaskets.

When you did the soapy water test did you do it after a cold start? Its a useless test if the water evaporates immediately after spraying. Cover the down pipe and all intercooler connections with it then start the car and watch for any bubbles. (Don't get soap on the intercooler itself)

Get a datalog on the Cobb AP with a little bit of a pull in third or fourth gear and post it on here.

You're on the right track looking for vacuum/boost leaks. An $80 eBay smoke tester is much more effective than a spray or soap test.

Fuel trims would be very helpful. A Bluetooth OBDLink is a great investment, completed with BtSsm. You can also do it with a $10 VAG-COM cable and FreeSSM.

You're on the right track looking for vacuum/boost leaks. An $80 eBay smoke tester is much more effective than a spray or soap test.

Fuel trims would be very helpful. A Bluetooth OBDLink is a great investment, completed with BtSsm. You can also do it with a $10 VAG-COM cable and FreeSSM.

Can one data log with the OBD 2 driver, and BtSsm, or FreeSSM?

Did you check the hose clamp on the Cold side of the intercooler? I had that same problem last year, cant remember which code I was throwing, but the hose was clamped on crooked and would pass my leak testing and make that sound when driving. I thought it was the BOV as well, because the connection is right underneath.

Archived