LegacyGT.com

Wind noise from B pillar area

Ugh, back from the dealer, they heard it and agreed. Said they did TSB 12-176-14 (the 2015 fix) and the noise sounds even worse. The sound is like i'm driving in a 20mph wind, or directly behind a semi. There is zero wind today. Edited by SSpeed

I had it done in my 2015 they replaced that small glass in the red circle along with some weatherstrip. As I had tinted windows, so I had to get it retinted at the 2nd time on dealer expense as they break another part of my car while fixing it. As for my 2016, I ordered it with Windows Visor so I suspect the bad wind noise from the factory windows visor. I'll definitely check my door weather strip this weekend.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Ugh, back from the dealer, they heard it and agreed. Said they did TSB 12-176-14 (the 2015 fix) and the noise sounds even worse. The sound is like i'm driving in a 20mph wind, or directly behind a semi. There is zero wind today.

I'm sorry to hear that, I will highly recommend you to file the complaint through Subaru and NHTSA

https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Subaru knew the wind noise problem, but they just ignored it because nobody complains about it

Interesting, I have the factory installed remote start as well. I'm sitting at the dealer right now, the service tech wasn't surprised at all that I was having wind noise.

YES, so true, when I'm complaining about wind noise to the service dept, their face is like " dude, of course, we have wind noise, this is Subaru!!!!":mad::mad::mad:

Ugh, back from the dealer, they heard it and agreed. Said they did TSB 12-176-14 (the 2015 fix) and the noise sounds even worse. The sound is like i'm driving in a 20mph wind, or directly behind a semi. There is zero wind today.

Are they offering any other fix than the failed TSB?

Ive got a noise on my 2018 that seems to be from that same area. Usually at 40-70 mph and on days when it is cold outside. Even then not always so also suspecting more windy days. I need to take a look at the weatherstripping in that area. I think thats also area where some wiring was run for the remote start.

I'm highly recommended you test drive another alike Legacy ASAP. Because I test drove four 2018 Legacy, all of them are very quiet (at least much much quieter than my 2017). Also Subaru added acoustic front windows on 2018 model, which should be quieter.....

I went out and checked some of the weather stripping over lunch. This doesn't look right to me. It's like a straight piece of stripping was used to turn the corner. That could potentially be the source of my noise, but it seems like it's coming from the front of the window, not the rear.

20180110_123707.jpg?raw=1

20180110_123710.jpg?raw=1

Subaru need to replace these for you, regardless it causes the noise or not

my dealer replaced both rear weather strippings for me, but the noise still there...:confused::confused::mad::mad:

I'm highly recommended you test drive another alike Legacy ASAP. Because I test drove four 2018 Legacy, all of them are very quiet (at least much much quieter than my 2017). Also Subaru added acoustic front windows on 2018 model, which should be quieter.....

I had read they added to the 2018 to improve noise reduction. Unfortunately it doesnt do it all the time. First was a couple of weeks after owning it and the second time was a week or so later and not since, so dont know any value in test driving another car. Will let service deal with it when I take it in.

I had read they added to the 2018 to improve noise reduction. Unfortunately it doesnt do it all the time. First was a couple of weeks after owning it and the second time was a week or so later and not since, so dont know any value in test driving another car. Will let service deal with it when I take it in.

If you can prove the other 2018 Legacy is quieter than your, then something wrong with your, maybe write down the Legacy's vin# you test drove and ask dealer to test drive the same car, so they won't BS you.

If doesn't work, file the complaint through Subaru and NHTSA

we need more owner to file the complaint so Subaru can no longer ignore wind noise issue.:mad:

If you can prove the other 2018 Legacy is quieter than your, then something wrong with your, maybe write down the Legacy's vin# you test drove and ask dealer to test drive the same car, so they won't BS you.

If doesn't work, file the complaint through Subaru and NHTSA

we need more owner to file the complaint so Subaru can no longer ignore wind noise issue.:mad:

So what is the safety issue related to the wind noise?

Seriously do you people think before wasting peoples time?

The link on NHTSA site is for safety issues, not frivolous bS.

Are they offering any other fix than the failed TSB?

They are being quite responsive so that is good. They are going to replace the weatherstripping I posted. Butttttt, they gave me a 2017 Outback as a loaner car, the exact noise is there. I'm not convinced it's a problem with my car, but the whole model overall. This is my 5th Subaru and it has the most wind noise of them all.

• 1 year later...

Wind noise was not issue for me since I got my car (Sep-2014) but something changed few months ago. Now, people think that my windows are down if I answer my phone while driving. Very noisy, kind of annoying when driving on highway.

Noise is coming from A pillar area on the driver side. Windows closed always, moon-roof, too.

BTW, this is my first real issue so far, small but real. 86k miles on the car, still like it very much. Changed tires, no major issues.

EDIT: Noise is NOT coming from B pillar area on the driver side.

Edited by sos123

My '17 Legacy has it at the A-Pillar. there is a service bulletin for it, mine had the new seals installed at the factory, however since I still had it, they replaced them again.... still have it. It seemed better for a few days after getting them replaced but it's back

Pretty annoying that's for sure

Good luck