LegacyGT.com

P0458 Strong gas smell.

Hey guys,

I started throwing a P0458 code the other day out of the blue: EVAP Emission System Purge Control Valve Circuit Low.

After using the search function and google I'm seeing answers ranging from gas cap being loose, PCV, Coil packs, to a fried ECU.

What has me concerned is that as soon as the code popped up the car has been reeking of gas every time I park it, and my fuel economy has dropped from 22mpg to 15mpg. Search says the only symptoms of a failing Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid could be a rough idle or completely non-existant. Is my car safe to drive? Are these specific symptoms an indication of where I should start looking, like maybe a vacuum hose coming loose? The gas cap is definitely on tight.

I'm hoping someone with a better understanding of how the evap system works can point me in the right direction.

Hopefully someone else will chime in too but, I'd check the vacuum hoses going to the purge control solenoid valve. You can also check the resistance of the solenoid, the factory service manual says it should be between 29-35ohms.

Picture with location of the solenoid, right in the front/center of the intake manifold

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-2006-lgt-colored-vacuum-routing-diagram-143225.html

This also made me think of a cracked fuel pump housi g that some people like me have had... That can produce a strong smell in the cabin. Do you smell gas in the car, outside the car, or both?

Archived