LegacyGT.com

Trans noise, not like what I’m reading about

stiffjimbo

Hey there, this is my first time on here so I hope I’m doing this right. 2011 Legacy GT, 63k miles, has a “belt squeal” like noise at any time while driving and seems to be the worst anywhere between 2000-3500 rpms. When I’m coming to a stop, depress the clutch it starts fading and then stops completely in neutral. As far as I have read it does not sound exactly like what I’m seeing in various threads for throw out bearing noise. I don’t know, maybe that’s what it is?!? It just started a couple of weeks ago, I just want to get it resolved before it becomes a more expensive and serious problem. Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my throw out bearing went bad at around 97k, it sounded exactly like bad belt squeal. I think the noise went away when I pushed in the clutch pedal. This was when the car was just idling by the way.

It sounds like the problem isn't there at idle?

The input shaft bearing in the tranny is making the noise. Check your tranny fluid level.

When the clutch pedal is pushed in, it disengages the clutch, which is on a shaft which is splined to the disc. So it stops spinning, while the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel continues to spin at idle rpm.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived