LegacyGT.com

Transmission interchange

Wet Cat

Hello all. I very new to Subarus. I trying to help my son. He has a 1994 legacy front wheel drive only 4cyl wagon MT. He is stranded in OR in a small town.

What year range and makes could he use to replace the trans with? I checked my local ( Cheyenne,Wy) jy and they are either awd or Auto Trans. I don't think so but would a mt awd work and seal off where the drive shaft exits?

Also, what is this trans called? (number/letter) What engine wouls it have and what is it called so I can search on the site?

For future reference, what engine size and other models will interchange for water pumps, alternator, breaks, suspension ( stock not performance)?

He drove it from NY to OR back in August and is trying to get back to Michigan then NY in the next 45-60 days.

Thanks in advance for any help. Pointing to other post will be helpful also.

I see referenced throughout the site that people refer to the engine by numeric/alpha numbers and not just the engine size. How/where do I find what "engine number" and transmission number we have? I want these so I can search on this site better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

You should be able to get the service manual there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived