LegacyGT.com

Likelihood of Short throw causing bent shift fork?

Footie

So I built myself a DIY short throw shifter out of the stock shifter in my 03 baja 5-speed. Eventually, the transmission stopped going into gear (we think its a bent shift fork... Not 100% certain) and I got rid of that car. I kept the short throw, and I adapted it so that it would fit into my 05 legacy gt 5-speed. When I told my mechanic (a good friend of mine) that I put it in, he suggested that I keep my shifter stock in this car, because he thinks the short throw may have caused the problem in the last car.

I have a pretty hard time believing that a short throw could cause such issues, and I haven't found anything on any forums that suggests even a poorly built one could cause these problems, but I figured I should probably reach out and see what everyone thought.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've bent two without a short throw shifter... lol

i don't think it was the shifter that bent it, mine was after i put a new clutch in and it just couldn't hang with the added spring tension of the pressure plate... i will always clean and inspect every fork closer from now on.

the only thing the fork connects to is the slave cylinder and pressure plate. so i don't think any shifter would cause issues. its part of the clutch hydraulic system, not any shifting/shifter components.

I don't see how an STS could cause it. If anything it should be i]less[/i] likely since you've got less leverage to push on the forks.

I'd blame it on pushing too hard on the shift lever when the transmission didn't want to go into gear. Maybe due to bad synchros, maybe due to bad timing with the clutch. Or maybe just due to bad luck. Transmissions don't always outlive the the chassis they came in.

Archived