LegacyGT.com

ECU - BIU - Reprogramming? (Help)

I have a modified 05 Legacy GT wagon, the previous owner was building the car and did not finish. The ECU that I found appears to be a different Vin number than the car's ECU, which means the BIU wont pair to the ECU, which prevents the car from starting.

I was wondering if there was a way to reprogram the ECU to match the BIU with an accessport? The dealer tells me that the BIU can only be married once, so I'd need to get a new BIU. They're not sure if I can reflash it with an accessport though so I wanted to check what you all thought?

The dealer is full of crap. On some of the early '05 they had to change out the ECU on a lot of cars due to a fan control issue, and never touched the BIU other than with the SSMIII tool.

It's possible to DIY if you have the original ECU (have to move one chip between them), but you're SOL without that. Best to call another dealer.

The dealer is full of crap. On some of the early '05 they had to change out the ECU on a lot of cars due to a fan control issue, and never touched the BIU other than with the SSMIII tool.

It's possible to DIY if you have the original ECU (have to move one chip between them), but you're SOL without that. Best to call another dealer.

I don't have the original ECU :( and I took the BIU out of the case and it looks like it might be fried or had water damage at some point in it's life. So I'll need to get a new BIU anyway. Would this be a good time to get a newer BIU if possible to be able to use the 09+ key? or is that key more involving than that?

You can use the '09 key with the remote buttons built in with the original BIU. You just need to get it cut and programmed to work with the car.

I've never seen anyone do a BIU model year swap. While it might be possible depending on if all the CAN ID's from the new one are present, it'd probably be a giant hassle with little to no features added. Get a BIU for the year and trim car you have.

I don't have the original ECU :( and I took the BIU out of the case and it looks like it might be fried or had water damage at some point in it's life. So I'll need to get a new BIU anyway. Would this be a good time to get a newer BIU if possible to be able to use the 09+ key? or is that key more involving than that?

I'm using an 09 key on my 05, like utc_pyro said, just buy the key and get it programed (or you can dig out the chip from your existing key, which is what I did from my valet key).

Instructions on how to program 09 keys on 05 can be found here.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived