LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy : Replace Head unit in H/k system

2009leggy

Hey guys,

I have a 2009 Legacy 2.5i with the Harmon Kardon factory system. I am looking to replace the factory head unit with a double din Kenwood unit or something similar. I haven't seen much in terms of whether an aftermarket head unit will work with the factory Amp. I am not sure if the factory head unit sends low level or speaker level signal to the amplifier. At the current moment in time, I want to leave the factory amp and door speakers in place.

Right now I have two Rockford Fosgate R1 10" subwoofers in a box powered by a Rockford Fosgate R500x1D monoblock amp. At the time of this installation, I was told by a friend that I needed a line out converter to send a low level signal to the amp via RCA, and that is exactly what I did and it works fine.

I have read a few places that say the factory H/U sends speaker level input into the factory amp, but I have also heard that it sends low level signal to the factory amp.

Now if the the headunit does indeed send low level signal to the amp, am I screwing anything up by using a LOC on a signal thats already a line level signal?

If the factory headunit is sending speaker level signal into the factory amp, then I should be fine to just replace the head unit and correctly re-wire the harness to go to the amplifier using the factory wiring. And if this is true (speaker level signal) than my LOC setup for my sub is fine.

Is this correct? I hope its speaker level outputs from the HU because that would make everything a lot easier.

has anyone done this exact install before and do they have any pics/details/writeup on how to do so?

Yes you have thousands of options :) Go to http://www.crutchfield.com search for Legacy 2.5i double DIN units and they throw in th install kit for free

Yes I love using crutchfield, they've been around for awhile and have a good reputation! But everything should be plug-and-play? I have heard of people not getting their factory amp to work with a new head-unit.

• 2 weeks later...

You cant swap that HU because the AC controls are on the same board.

Look into getting a Audiocontrol Lc7i, take the signal that comes out of the factory amp, not HU. Then hook up your amps.

btw if you check out the very first sticky thread, it goes into details on what the process is to add an HU, make harness etc. Not a simple plug and play setup

Archived