LegacyGT.com

Average etune time

Shutoburner

I'm about ready to do a e85 tune as soon as I get my current setup etuned. It started off as a simple swap to VF52 which then showed maxed out fueling on stock setup and boost creep. I had option to go with EWG or injector and fueling upgrades and I went with fueling upgrade. Anyway, it's been quite a lengthy process as a DIYer battling small vacuum leak and installation mishaps. Anyhow, during all this, I was getting about 1 or 2 replies a week from the etuner and never a reply same day about a question here and there. I understand etunes and tuners want your car to be mechanically sound before tuning, but when the parts were supplied in this situation to a DIYer, I was hoping to get some prompt replies which I didn't always receive.

Bottom line...what is a reasonable turnaround time for email replies and revisions of tunes etc for those who got etuned? I'm not in hurry but I also hate getting one revision a week etc. I guess you pay less for etune with time it takes to get it tuned right vs a pro tune... just a rant or sorts here but also curious about your experience before I go get my e85 tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about ready to do a e85 tune as soon as I get my current setup etuned. It started off as a simple swap to VF52 which then showed maxed out fueling on stock setup and boost creep. I had option to go with EWG or injector and fueling upgrades and I went with fueling upgrade. Anyway, it's been quite a lengthy process as a DIYer battling small vacuum leak and installation mishaps. Anyhow, during all this, I was getting about 1 or 2 replies a week from the etuner and never a reply same day about a question here and there. I understand etunes and tuners want your car to be mechanically sound before tuning, but when the parts were supplied in this situation to a DIYer, I was hoping to get some prompt replies which I didn't always receive.

Bottom line...what is a reasonable turnaround time for email replies and revisions of tunes etc for those who got etuned? I'm not in hurry but I also hate getting one revision a week etc. I guess you pay less for etune with time it takes to get it tuned right vs a pro tune... just a rant or sorts here but also curious about your experience before I go get my e85 tune.

Just finished up e-tuning (well fine tuning still with the odd revision). The tuner I chose is a wizard on the 5EAT so I went this route (using Open source software). I had Cobb stage 2, and a custom tune is night and day. The Cobb ran rich rich rich and while it had a tone of boost and strong power it still felt a bit dead. Anyway, I was getting a revision per day for the most part until we were getting close, then I got one the next morning after a sent in a log the previous night. **Constant** follow up on BBN, fantastic. About 7 revisions and 4-5 mini revisions in about 2 weeks to get this testy 5EAT shifting sharp and fast with the modes I have, and the shitty Canadian fuel:-D

I paid a bit more than the typical e-tunes....But Ill be back with this tuner when I modernize the fleet :-) I might get scolded from SBT for promoting Edwards services here (he isn't a sponsor), so I won't...so PM me if you want more details.

Long story short you get what you paid for. I had actually paid for another e-tune at a popular company here. Sent in some logs, asking for feedback before I sent some more...and never actually got a response. I swallowed the $$ and moved on.

Just finished up e-tuning (well fine tuning still with the odd revision). The tuner I chose is a wizard on the 5EAT so I went this route (using Open source software). I had Cobb stage 2, and a custom tune is night and day. The Cobb ran rich rich rich and while it had a tone of boost and strong power it still felt a bit dead. Anyway, I was getting a revision per day for the most part until we were getting close, then I got one the next morning after a sent in a log the previous night. **Constant** follow up on BBN, fantastic. About 7 revisions and 4-5 mini revisions in about 2 weeks to get this testy 5EAT shifting sharp and fast with the modes I have, and the shitty Canadian fuel:-D

I paid a bit more than the typical e-tunes....But Ill be back with this tuner when I modernize the fleet :-) I might get scolded from SBT for promoting Edwards services here (he isn't a sponsor), so I won't...so PM me if you want more details.

Long story short you get what you paid for. I had actually paid for another e-tune at a popular company here. Sent in some logs, asking for feedback before I sent some more...and never actually got a response. I swallowed the $$ and moved on.

Every review of Ed at XRT reads like this.

Giving discounts to customers for writing positive reviews is a great way to market. But there are some negative reviews out there, too.

Is that what he does? I had no idea. I'm not sure if thats considered legal. It becomes paid testimony at that point and needs to be identified as such no?

Paid or not to write the review, XRT service sounds amazing. How much does he charge for an etune? We all know how much some of the popular tuners charge. All I want sometimes is a quick reply even next day...some of my experience has been anything but. Sometimes I get a reply in 3 days, that's business days mind you. Before you or a tuner says...well, you assume 100% mechanical optimization prior to tune. It would be helpful to get prompt reply on such thing as "hey I see a vacuum leak" after waiting a week for a revision. Then, I try to fix the leak. Then finally a revision map. I'm at a point where I'm scared to email him about anything other than my logs since it can take another week just waiting. Extremely frustrating.

Giving discounts to customers for writing positive reviews is a great way to market. But there are some negative reviews out there, too.

Discounts??!!! Haha not for me; I probably cost him money on all the revisions :lol: Oh course there will be negative reviews, there always are. I've been through a negative experience with a popular tuner as well a couple months ago. But it's water under the bridge at this point. Personally I'm happy with Ed's tuning...for the 5EAT especially. I wanted a car that behaves completely different than the stock and OTS tune. Maybe one could get more ponies out of other tuners but that wasn't the aim for me. Shifting, response, early spool was what I was after. If I had my SpecB still I would have drove it down to Surgeline in Potland, got it on the dyno and be done. But I really needed shifting improvements...in fact that's really ALL I wanted out of my wagon. I hated having to drive in manual mode 100% of the time just to be safe in traffic.

robburns201: He just does Open Source. His primary business is the JDM market which isn't supported by the Accessport. In one way its interesting as I can see before and after changes and how deep he goes (for instance into the AVCS). Being an aviation EN I'm a bit of a nerd in this regard.

Shutoburner: PM me

**These are just my -personal experiences-, YMMV** and I'm glad there still are a good number of e-tuner options for all of us out there for our older cars:-)

Archived