LegacyGT.com

Door stuck locked and closed

Hi gang, got a fun one for you. My passenger door is stuck in the lock position. No external key, the actuator moves but the lock is closed. I did the procedure tek linked to here:Actuator Fix, and it worked for a bit. Then the other day it got stuck in the lock position while open. I installed a brand new factory actuator unit. Got it to unlock, but now it won't open.

I'm thinking of pulling the trim up and over from the top, to try and disconnect the cables.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I might be misunderstanding your situation but have you tried rolling the window down and fishing around for the latch release inside the door?

Is there some other latch release besides the two cables going to the door handle? I'll post a picture later of lock mechanism and show exactly what I've changed.

You could try some of the coat hanger tricks. There are more than a couple YouTube videos on various tricks to get a door open. Look for the ones that are backyard mechanics though, the professional mechanics don't seem to know how to pick a lock.

My rear exterior door handle is currently broken, and I managed to activate the child lock :( So I am just as screwed. Luckily it's the rear door or my GF would be getting on my case.

You could try some of the coat hanger tricks. There are more than a couple YouTube videos on various tricks to get a door open. Look for the ones that are backyard mechanics though, the professional mechanics don't seem to know how to pick a lock.

I didn't even think of youtube. Good call, thanks!

There is also this picker tool at autozone, it's essentially a handle with flex long spring coiled attach that has 4 hooks that can extend and grab a small item... Can use it to grab on something in hard to reach areas.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I caved, got an appointment at the dealer. If anyone has ever had a similar situation, lemmie know. F'ing sucks. Replaced everything else on this car and the 12 year old door lock is the straw that breaks my back.

Any good body shop can fix this for less $$$ then a dealer. Lower rates.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I caved and brought it to my body shop, with a new lock assembly ready to go. They made me a sweet deal; I fix their Sonos set up in exchange for them getting my door open. Sonos fix took 10 minutes, door took 25 or so. It was a bright moment in an otherwise crappy few weeks.

You don't really appreciate a door that functions properly until it doesn't...

I kept the old lock to see if I can come up with a way to do it on our own. But it took an expert about 25 minutes, so I don't have high hopes.

There is a wire that is connected from the door handle to the latch trigger. In most cases all you need to do is roll down the window, pull off the exterior window protector piece and get a hold of the wire top and pull. It bypasses the door lock if it ever gets stuck. I have a LR outside handle that the actuator tab broke off, so until i find a new one i have rigged it to open. Also, because i dont have the right amount of tension on the wire, it fails to unlock the door on the inside when i use my fob or unlock-all.

There is a wire that is connected from the door handle to the latch trigger. In most cases all you need to do is roll down the window, pull off the exterior window protector piece and get a hold of the wire top and pull. It bypasses the door lock if it ever gets stuck. I have a LR outside handle that the actuator tab broke off, so until i find a new one i have rigged it to open. Also, because i dont have the right amount of tension on the wire, it fails to unlock the door on the inside when i use my fob or unlock-all.
This worked perfectly, although I had to break the back tab off of the trim since it was screwed down on the inside of the door. I got the door open and sprayed the latch like crazy with wd40 to clean it up. Everything is moving freely now. Somehow it must have just got gummed up.

The trim is reinstalled as well just without that last screw in but it holds well.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 11 months later...

I am having this same problem right now, the door lock doesn’t seem to engage all the way leaving the interior and exterior handle loose. I was able to get the door unlocked and temporarily usable by rolling down the passenger window, using a coat hanger near the rear of the door to catch rod connected to the exterior door and left and pulling up while pressing the unlock button.

After pulling the hanger out I’m able to use the door handle to open the door but once I hit the lock button again I have to repeat the process to open the door again. I’m going to pull the door panel off to figure out what the problem is.

Archived